What's new
What's new

May 2020 NY Scraping Class Project Recommendations

marka12161

Stainless
As i mentioned in prior posts, I'll be hosting one of Richard King's scraping classes this May in my home shop in Oswego NY. One element of the class is to bring a project to work on and popular recommendations are to bring a compound slide, a straight edge, and angle plate or something similarly sized. One of the things i'm hoping to get out of this class is to learn how to asses the overall condition of the sliding ways on an engine lathe. In my case, a 1941 Monarch 16CY. I've currently got the apron off of this machine in order to fix the saddle & carriage lubrication system. In doing so i removed and disassembled the compound and found that the gib is shimmed. At some point i plan to make a new gib and to do so, i would mill and grind some cast iron to size which brings me to may question. I have a #2 brown and sharp surface grinder waiting its' turn for attention by me. I've have yet to run the motor as i want to ensure the spindle is properly lubed before i do and i' just haven't taken the time to pay it any attention. I'm pretty sure that once i do, i'll find the table needs attention. My question is; would scraping in the grinder table be too ambitious a class project?

Back