What's new
What's new

MD who Scrapes like a Pro

Richard King

Diamond
MD who scrapes like a pro

Hi everyone, I have a student and friend who lives and works in Oslo Norway who is a Heart Surgeon by day and he took one of my classes 6 years ago in Norway. We were emailing yesterday about rebuilding a Schaublin Milling machine (Ballens) as I know he has one and several of their lathes. He has his own web page that you will find fascinating with all his projects be it a steam powered boat to making and scraping his own straight-edges. Just scroll down the list and be in awe. He shows a Schaublin lathe he completely rebuilt - painting to scraping. He scraped the ways, replaced the bearings. He has won awards for building model steam and gasoline engines at competitions in the UK. His name is Edvind Wolf and I am so proud to call him a friend, student and one of the "kids" http://www.missiseipi.com

That shop looks like he never makes anything, just spends all day polishing his machines. Wow! Seriously, how does he control the mess? Flying chips, coolant, and cutting oils? Or does he just cut everything dry?

Amazing shop. I'm a bit jealous...
Bill

I'd love to have my shop look like that. I actually try every now and then ;-) All my time is spent just trying to catch up with last week and it shows :-(

Paul

That shop looks like he never makes anything, just spends all day polishing his machines. Wow! Seriously, how does he control the mess? Flying chips, coolant, and cutting oils? Or does he just cut everything dry?

Bill

Well as Richard said, Edvind is a heart surgeon...

Thank you for sharing this Richard. I like the Zeiss operating scope set-up over the Schaublin 135.

David

Bill

We had ( have ?) a couple of these wonderful enthusiasts with lots of money here in South Africa, too. On the same lines. Similar machines, not best choice, not much variation. You see in his w/shop there is a lot of duplication. A LOT. Some people have a passion / hobby not as much for making something but for using the machine. They will turn or grind or drill something just for the "art" of it. As I am not a machinist, I like that. Bad idea to have grinding dust in the same room with such fine machines. I like very much his talent for scraping metal but I think he could do more polishing on those "straight edges" and get them to shine more.

We had ( have ?) a couple of these wonderful enthusiasts with lots of money here in South Africa, too. On the same lines. Similar machines, not best choice, not much variation. You see in his w/shop there is a lot of duplication. A LOT. Some people have a passion / hobby not as much for making something but for using the machine. They will turn or grind or drill something just for the "art" of it. As I am not a machinist, I like that. Bad idea to have grinding dust in the same room with such fine machines. I like very much his talent for scraping metal but I think he could do more polishing on those "straight edges" and get them to shine more.

Why do you have straight edges in quotations?

And why should they “shine more”?

I like the idea of a heart surgeon having an eye for order, cleanliness and detail. It would worry me if a heart surgeons workshop looked like a dogs breakfast :)
Mark

Here is "art" http://www.missiseipi.com/105794877

Not many can do it all. I have had several Medical Doctors; ER, Family practice, Psychiatrists, surgeons, anesthesiologists and they all are meticulous with their tools and work. They do the best they can do. That's is something to admire not joke around with. When I had my cataracts removed I interviewed my eye doctor, asked him where he went to school, where he graduated from medical school, put him on the offensive so to speak..lol...he came out with flying colors and before i left hi office I raised my hands palms down in front of me and held them there...He looked at me and I said lets see yours. He held up his hands and they were steady as a rock.

Edvind was steady as a rock too, and he had the best hand and eye coordination in scraping what he was shooting for then anyone I have taught in 40+ years. Another great thing with a MD in your class they can help me when I get dizzier then normal. At a Bourne and Koch class, Lucky 7 one of our members who is also a ER doctor and a Family practice doctor helped diagnosed my problem, I felt faint and no energy. They did a quick exam, and said " how much water have you drank today? I said maybe a cup of coffee, they gave me 3 bottle of water to drink and a 1/2 hour later I was feeling great. I was dehydrated is all. M's and first responders are my hero's... in and out of class...:-) G-Day. . PS: Lucky 7 is also a great scraper

Back