What's new
What's new

Merry christmas fellow scrapers and putzers

Richard King

Diamond
I wanted to wish all my friends and foes a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Remember I will try to answer any question asked about scraping, machine rebuilding on here or via the phone or email. I still teach the classes and have discovered working in my back yard shop is much easier then traveling all over. I'm not sure we will ever get back to Vermont to teach there, but I hope to one more time. I have classes scheduled for MN in Feb and March, have interest in a class in Salt Lake in April. We have 3 signed up for that class, but I won't go unless I get 6 more.
I have decided that I will teach 1 to 5 inside my shop in MN. I'm only 30 minutes from The MSP airport and there are a lot of places to stay nearby. Last summer and fall 2 students stayed at camp grounds. Not sure I would go camping as I did a lot of that when I was a Boy Scout.

One student Hayden Mills up in Washington State told me a few months ago. "I sure wish I had bought a diamond lapper first before my BIAX as what a difference it's made scraping with a sharp blade." He was confused at first thinking the Sanvik blades and Biax blades came with the right radius and sharpness. I also now have a 65 year old Anderson Power scraper you can play with too here in MN.

Take care and stay safe, Rich

Pic's are my classes in MN and a Glendo Lapper. Opps - The last pic is from the CCI Speer (ammo mfg.)class I did in Idaho last fall. They are having me back in the spring to teach another one.

20211210_142352_resized.jpg20211208_142138_resized.jpg20211022_092654_resized.jpg20211024_121230_resized.jpg20210819_133747_resized.jpg

It was crazy, up in Speer, they had Journeymen machinists and they had never seen how you can introduce an on purpose twist in a worn lathe bed so you can turn a straight part. They never saw how you can swivel a lathe headstock on an Asian lathe to turn straight. My classes are 75% scraping and 25% common sense alignment, leveling and my 60+ years of "tricks of the trade" of machine rebuilding.

We try to do a road-trip family vacation once a year. Mostly we head out west and visit family and national parks and such, but one year I think we'll need to head north to see what the wilds of Minnesota hold, and I'll have to swing by and see that Anderson!:)

Merry Christmas!

Back