What's new
What's new

message from forum moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBlair

Diamond
Just a few quick notes, I urge all new members or any existing forum members to review the two sticky notes at the top of the page that deal with acceptable content and forum posting rules.

Some may not have known about these or may have just forgotten about them.

I also want to say a few words about civility and good manners. While I have a pretty high tolerance for allowing people to settle small differences in their own way and time. I do occasionally have to intervene in some posts. This can be because of two people with very set ideas or obstinate values that will not allow them to just go with the flow.

But mostly it has to do with strong viewpoints on what is right or best. Most of the time they are not personal but about ideas or techniques shared here. Then sometimes it is personal and abusive.

We had a spell of this behavior for a while but after several dozen emails and communications, plus a couple of short term bans this has largely settled down. But it seems some newer and a couple of older members have fallen into old habits.

What I wont tolerate are personal attacks on another person or their ideas or values. We will all disagree, sometimes strongly. But your replies can always be worded in a polite way if you choose to do so. Lately I have found that I am spending a lot of time trying to talk to members about the way they are posting.

We are all adults and we need to have a bit of thick skin, but no one needs to be verbally abused or made to feel that they are stupid, small or unimportant.

Please remember when posting that we are all here to learn and share. Be nice, be polite and feel free to disagree with grace.

Charles
Forum moderator

On another note, while I do check this forum out from time to time my life does not give me the time to read every post or look in every day. I have a business running a machine shop, I have a life away from this forum. I have had an continue to have all the same dramas that each of you would know and understand.

If you find yourself the victim of a nasty attack, let me know by the Private Message system. I delete my inbox regularly so it will never be full.

However I also suggest you work things out between yourselves like grown ups. If attacked let the person know you dont appreciate it and see if they will be willing to consider an apology after they have had time to think about what they posted. It may not work but I find many times people are happy to get along.

For everyone please try to remember that this format is the only one that lets you read what you have typed and think about how your words will be taken before you say them. This is important, before hitting the send button. Take the time to read what you have written and answer these questions, is it true? Is it necessary? Is it helpful or hurtful?

These things will save a lot of angst and bad feelings for us all. And yes I am human and sometimes have to remind myself of these rules also.

Charles
Forum Moderator

Agree to call someone a Dirty Bugger is the limit.

OT:
Charles, Why not put "Pease try to make new thread titles relative to the subject" right after the word Search on the opening page? It seems enough room there.

I think that is supposed to be the norm anyway. Someplace I remember seeing that posted by Don. Of course I cant find it now. I dont think I can make changes to the layout of the forum. I only have the authority to close, move or delete a thread. I can send an email to the company that runs the forum and see if it is possible to change things that way.

Sadly after a post is posted there is no way to change the title. The only way to fix it would be to delete the thread and create a new one.

Charles

Sadly after a post is posted there is no way to change the title. The only way to fix it would be to delete the thread and create a new one.

Charles

There is a way to edit titles, not too difficult, atleast when I use pc. Moderators can only edit thread titles in our assigned section though, not the entire forum.

South Bend is not my section, but I spend some time there and by coincidence was discussing issues of civility, thread titles and such. . .my post here:
Couple of Dumb Questions

Toward the bottom of the post I have temporarily changed the title of a simple thread from 2006. Original title was "Pictures ?":
This Just In. . .McLoad Destroys Forum !

First open thread and click the "administrative" drop down, where move, delete, copy etc are:

29.jpg

The drop down: hit button for "edit thread", then click proceed:

30.jpg

After clicking proceed the page looks like this:

31.jpg

Notice the title is grayed out in the box, as if you can't edit, but if you click the end of it, you can backspace the current title. Then type new title.

Then click "save changes" button

32.jpg

You do a great job, and I like your approach. I've seen your points on thinking about what we say a few times. Its good stuff that we should consider.

Joking and breaking balls with members we know and consider friends is one thing. Thinking of clever replies to strangers or guys we don't know, could have a positive twist if worked at it. As mentioned, thinking about what we type, what we say.

And feel free to delete/edit my post here, no harm, no foul.

Thanks Charles. I know I screw up now and then...lol I may read it wrong and get bent out of shape as in the recent one with Jerry. (I have mild case of Dyslexia) I just pray the new owners can limit one account to one person as I believe over the years a few members use different names, so they can talk and agree with themselves.....lol

I am glad your back and cracking the whip....lol Rich

Thanks Charles. I know I screw up now and then...lol I may read it wrong and get bent out of shape as in the recent one with Jerry. (I have mild case of Dyslexia) I just pray the new owners can limit one account to one person as I believe over the years a few members use different names, so they can talk and agree with themselves.....lol

I am glad your back and cracking the whip....lol Rich

That is ok Richard, I know you try, and it isnt easy to change the habits of a lifetime. An off color remark said in person with a grin can be accepted. When all you have is words it is easier for someone to be offended. Have a great weekend and stay healthy.

Charles

There is a way to edit titles, not too difficult, atleast when I use pc. Moderators can only edit thread titles in our assigned section though, not the entire forum.

South Bend is not my section, but I spend some time there and by coincidence was discussing issues of civility, thread titles and such. . .my post here:
Couple of Dumb Questions

Toward the bottom of the post I have temporarily changed the title of a simple thread from 2006. Original title was "Pictures ?":
This Just In. . .McLoad Destroys Forum !

First open thread and click the "administrative" drop down, where move, delete, copy etc are:

View attachment 318534

The drop down: hit button for "edit thread", then click proceed:

View attachment 318535

After clicking proceed the page looks like this:

View attachment 318536

Notice the title is grayed out in the box, as if you can't edit, but if you click the end of it, you can backspace the current title. Then type new title.

Then click "save changes" button

View attachment 318537

You do a great job, and I like your approach. I've seen your points on thinking about what we say a few times. Its good stuff that we should consider.

Joking and breaking balls with members we know and consider friends is one thing. Thinking of clever replies to strangers or guys we don't know, could have a positive twist if worked at it. As mentioned, thinking about what we type, what we say.

And feel free to delete/edit my post here, no harm, no foul.

Thanks, I didnt know that, I will have to give it a try.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back