What's new
What's new

Mikromat sfw surface grinder rebuild

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
I spent a good bit of time recently working on this grinder I purchased in Germany over the summer. Shared album - Luke Rickert - Google Photos
Shared album - Luke Rickert - Google Photos
It has been basically done for a while but just yesterday I finally managed to tighten up the plain bearing spindle and was able to do some testing of how the machine grinds. I fully re-scraped the x and y ways but left the z alone as it was not badly worn and isn't critical for the work I forsee. Those vee ways were hard to get right but at least in the center of travel it seems to work properly. I need to grind the chuck a bit more carefully once I get the SiC wheels that were due last week. I also made a new cross slide screw which was an interesting challenge given some very deep oil distribution holes.

This is test part, 225mm long

That is a 1 micron indicator on my new JHF surface plate, it is a little low in one corner but otherwise good given my limited knowledge of surface grinding.

There are a few of these machines being rebuilt in Europe right now, one in Belgium, a couple in Germany, mine in France and one in the Ukraine was finished up recently. They are East German built based on a prewar design. They were called Elbe Werke before the war and Mikromat later. I had not heard anything about them before I found this one but it seems to be a simple, robust and reasonably accurate design. They lack the fine detail of something from Switzerland but should a good match with my Schaublin machines none the less. I am running a Strub straight grinding oil as I have a personal rule against water containing coolant in my workshop. It smokes if to push too hard but at least it will not increase humidity or grow things if left to sit.

Last week I also did a one day rescrape of an Emco v10 bed. The wear wasn't huge but enough to really make straight cuts difficult.

I think the short saddle combined with a lack of any lubrication system (no grooves, no oil ports etc) explain the wear. It now cuts straight but will be going away soon if I can find a buyer I have no room for three lathes :)

Here is a picture mid process once I had taken care of the "hole"

Anyway just sharing some bigger projects of late, my Biax is getting a good workout :)

Luke

Back