What's new
What's new

Minnesota rebuilding and scraping class dec 8 - 12, 2021

Richard King

Diamond
Hello again,

I will be hosting a Scraping / Rebuilding class inside my pole bard shop Wednesday Dec 8 - Sunday the 12th. We already have one student from Ariz. signed up. I am located 30 minutes from MSP International airport. It appears the February FL class will not happen this year. If you have a scraping project bring it with. I supply all the tools. Message me or email [email protected] Also you can scroll down the thread list here or look on Youtube under Richard King Scraping and see past classes.
Thanks, Rich

Richard --

An off-topic question for you: In the 1980s and '90s there was a large "job shop" that was nationally known for their very-large-envelope, high-precision capacity. I don't think I've seen or heard their name in a couple of decades, but in the mid 1990s there were rumors that they were the only North American shop capable of re-surfacing the Compact Antenna Test Range reflectors that were removed from the RCA Astro-Electronics facility in East Windsor, NJ when RCA A-E was shut down.

Do you remember that shop, and know what happened to them?

Thanks.

My dad learned his rebuilding trade at Northern Pump (now BAE) during WW2. He grew up in Southern IL working in coal mines as a teen and then in his 20's and before the war (WW2) he was working in Peoria IL for Caterpillar. He was running a lathe and he was recruited to go to Minneapolis MN to work inside a defense plant. He said they were offering more money and he went. When he arrived they said they had enough lathe operators, but needed maintenance men. He told him he did all his auto repairs and they hired him. He apprenticed under 2 German Immigrants who taught him to handscrape. The came to America after WW1. Here is the foot print of the factory and back then they made Naval guns. In the 1970's and 80's we took our big machine beds there and had them planned as they did outside contracting. I saw Trident submarine missile tubes being made and 3" Nato naval guns being rebuilt there. He worked there until 1949 I believe. Then worked for General mills and started his own company in 1950 I think.
BAE’s Naval Guns – Military History of the Upper Great Lakes

Today was the first day of the Dec. 2021 class. We have a former student from MN. Ben and Dave from Boston. MN welcomed him with - 10 F this morning. Thank Goodness I have a great furnace. I have the temp at 70 F, shirt-sleeve in there.

Attachments

• 20211208_142138_resized.jpg
    20211208_142138_resized.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 54
Day 2 of class went fast. Day 3 Ben M a PM member who took a class or he hosted a class here in MN back in 2018.
He straightened and scraped a gib he took out of his Milltronics VMC I think he will be checking some straight-edges he also bought some straight-edges he bought from a rebuilding here in MN who retired and moved to Arizona.

The other student Dave is from Boston (he's volunteered to host a class in the future too as he teaches classes inn his shop now, but he is a glass blower and he said he would like to rebuild his Litton Glass Blowing lathes. He used to also grew mushrooms in his warehouse and that's pretty interesting when he talks about the micro biology that goes into that. He is also a PM member and has a Monarch EE he is going to rebuild. Day 3 - Duane Dickey another MN guy is coming to scrape his HKA-12 straight-edge. This afternoon they are predicting 8" of snow, so it should be interesting too.

More pictures of Day 2, shows Ben scraping a gib out of his small Milltronics VMC saddle. It was dinged up and bent. Dave finishing up his test bar, handscraping and he started to scrape a lathe compound, concentrating on the dovetails and getting them co-planer using a mini King-Way.

20211209_103140_resized (1).jpg20211209_103202_resized.jpg20211209_103305_resized.jpg20211209_103318_resized.jpg20211209_111658_resized.jpg

It had a heavy bell on the base and a long rack mechanism on a unique press down on the long 1 x 1 inch rack and it engages in a rack pinion. In the front of the rack is a HSS blade. After I sharpened the blade on my Glendo I measured a .004" deep x 1/2" wide x 10" long cut. In the video, you can see Ben's learning curve. The long corner scratch. LOL a It says in the Connelly book it can remove 3' pf material. LOL It's fun and I'm glad Ben came to the class, he has a great sense of humor and makes everyone laugh and is an advanced student. He hosted a class we had in 2018 in West Saint Paul, MN

I bought The Anderson here in the Vintage Machinery forum. It is my 2nd one. I sell the books on ebay too. I will give the forum members a discount if anyone want one.

20170115_083449.jpg20170114_095048.jpg

Back