What's new
What's new

My new inspection tool. A largish square

RC99

Diamond
many thanks to Machtool, I picked up this large engineers square. I do not have any large square things. So this will be just the ticket. I do have a autocollimator and a good optical square to check it out properly. I also have a mint 18" Brown and Sharpe. If it is out I cannot see why I should not be able to resquare at least the important outside bit.

A few mongers had got their hands on this square before and it has some dings on the stock, but I think I should be able to get it sorted. The beam is in pretty good order.

It is a Moore and Wright #400 with a 40" beam.

I was wondering how large do engineers squares get?

For reference that little square sitting on it has a 100mm or 4" beam.

20161213_183428.jpg

Just like the one I used to use. Mine leaned forward 0.002" at the top but as long as you knew that it was OK. You need to make a sleeve for it to prevent further damage.

I saw one just like it get swiped straight off the marking off table at " Kearns-Richards " with the overhead crane chains. It had just come back from calibration !

You can't beat having a big square if you're doing Hor Bore work.

Regards Tyrone.

That's cool. That's the biggest steel square I've seen. I just picked up a 36" granite tri-square. Not sure what the hell I need it for, but buying it seemed like a great idea at the time. I had only seen pictures of it before i bought it, it looks way bigger in person for some reason, and heavier! I guess now I need a bigger plate, or a psychiatrist, or both.

Cool. I have a 24" Moore and Wright. At least I think it is. It has no markings but the case says Moore and Wright. I'll just believe it is.

Back