What's new
What's new

Need advice on grinding bed way of Monarch 16CY x 54

marka12161

Stainless
I've been slowly replacing worn parts on this machine. I completely disassembled and replaced all bearings in the apron as well as changed the very pricey worm and wheel. Had the motor cleaned, megger readings taken and new leads installed. Have also bought all new metering pumps for the saddle. Head stock gears all look to be in great shape. This machine has severe wear under the saddle and under the tail stock. Wear is such that oil grooves have completely worn away. Given i'm as far into it as i am, i intend to have the bed ground and will then have the saddle machined and built back up with turcite. And now to my question.

I've measured the bed wear using two methods; one is using the tailstock sled as an "indicator holder" and sliding it to take measurements along the length of the bed. This of course relies on the assumption that the tailsock bearing surfaces are much less worn than the saddle bearing surfaces and can then be used as a datum. These measurements indicate about 7 thousands of wear right where one would expect it. The second method was to suspend a parallel across the tops of the two inverted "v" ways and take the same measurements at the same locations. This assumes that the tops of the V ways are parallel and, given that these are clearance surfaces are pretty much unworn. This method allows me to quantify the wear in the tailstock bearing surfaces as well as those for the saddle.

Both sets of (diverse) measurements show reasonable agreement for the saddle bearing surfaces which makes me feel pretty good. Because the tailstock showed so much wear (over .020), i was concerned that the tailstock bearing surfaces had also worn. My "suspended parallel" method showed almost 5 thousandths of wear at one point on the operator side of the inverted v that the tailstock rides on. My original plan was to only have the saddle bearing surfaces ground. The tailstock bearing surfaces are also the surfaces the headstock registers to and i do not want to get into scraping and aligning the headstock. The question is, should i also have the tailstock bearing surfaces ground but leave the length below the headstock untouched?

Any and all advice is welcome

IMG_20200731_173827328.jpg

IMG_20200529_161924006.jpg

I put centers in a t%g shaft,put between centers, dialed in and put 2 indicator , one at 12 and one at 9 o clock and run the full length of the bed....Adjust for tell stock error....Phil

Back