What's new
What's new

Need help for renew my lathe bedways

smic1978

Plastic
Hello to every one, i am new here
Few months ago i started to repair an old lathe EMAG made round 1920 and 1930 birth
Its a double v and triple wall bed, unusual to me , but wonderful design
DSC_0268.jpgDSC_0267.jpgDSC_0266.jpg
Anyone can explain whats the steps on the surface grinder to make it straight and smoth again?
I meen you can not just touch a surface and start to grind

Hello Bill
Yes it is greece Macedonia
The grinder is Boehringer made and as alternative a Stanko

mmmh, not so unusual.
The bigger Graziano and the Rivoli machines(italian made, among the best lathes ever made around here) shared a similar design. The purpose of having one set (the one guiding the carriage) of guides below the main plane of the bed was to make protection from swarf more effective by means of fixed, heavy gauge sheet metal covers.

The purpose of having one set (the one guiding the carriage) of guides below the main plane of the bed was to make protection from swarf more effective by means of fixed, heavy gauge sheet metal covers.

I thought that was a side benefit, with the main point being to provide extra swing near the chuck without the headaches of a gap. But neither of those features seem to be shared by the lathe in question.

Smic, it is normal to use unworn sections at each end for reference.

If Richard King or you Bill want to come and see the machine , you are both welcome
I am not a rich man but i have empty rooms at my home to sit back, and the see is just 1 hour away!

Thanks for your coment Ocean
Wen i said unusual i meant for the age of the machine
P1010053.jpgP1010053.jpg
Graziano is a high class machine for me to, but its 20 years later design and i dont know if its triple wall bedP1010053.jpg

Back