What's new
What's new

Need help sealing head stock 15" 1963 LeBlond Regal

Chevy427z

Stainless
Hi Folks.

I tried to revive a thread in the general forum regarding this issue and got no response, so retrying here.

I have a 1963 15" LeBlond Regal lathe with a bad oil leak. Oil pours out as fast as I pour it in. Square head. I have the manuals, but difficult to discern where the seals/gaskets are. I have the instructions for removing the shafts on the front of the machine, but that's it, no idea where gaskets and/or seals are located, nor how to replace them. I have written to LeBlond with the same questions, still waiting to hear back.

Anyone seal up their head stock? Also considering replacing the spindle bearings. Many thanks!

Mark

Hi Paolo.

I have no idea. The oil puddle is on the floor, under the headstock. I was hoping that someone might be familiar with a particular issue with these. If I knew which one it was (or where any of them were), I'd just order it up and start tearing it apart. I'd do that now, but I can't have the machine down for any longer than need be.

Thank you for your response.

Mark

Take off the back cover and look. We don't have a crystal ball. You don't fill the headstock up to high as many times they have a pump and you only put in a small amount. There should be a sight glass to see if it's full. Manytimesthose glasses get stained and you can no longer see if oil is over the glass.

There is probably a drain plug. Be a detective and LOOK yourself. Could pull the top cover and look inside. If the oil level is touching the spindle it is to high and its spilling out the labyrinth meaning you put in to much oil. A few pictures would be handy too.

Leblond 15" Regal

Hi Folks.

I tried to revive a thread in the general forum regarding this issue and got no response, so retrying here.

I have a 1963 15" LeBlond Regal lathe with a bad oil leak. Oil pours out as fast as I pour it in. Square head. I have the manuals, but difficult to discern where the seals/gaskets are. I have the instructions for removing the shafts on the front of the machine, but that's it, no idea where gaskets and/or seals are located, nor how to replace them. I have written to LeBlond with the same questions, still waiting to hear back.

Anyone seal up their head stock? Also considering replacing the spindle bearings. Many thanks!

Mark
Did you ever figure out the oil leak issue on the 15" Leblond?
I hv a 1963 model with the same flooding oil problem.
Thanks
Johnny

Did you ever figure out the oil leak issue on the 15" Leblond?
I hv a 1963 model with the same flooding oil problem.
Thanks
Johnny

Hey Johnny!

I double checked this thread and could have sworn that I replied way back when. I took the advice of some members here and dug a little deeper. I took the top cover off and realized that my oil level was fine. Apparently there is an over flow opening somewhere, that I never did find, that lets out any excess that we pour in. Someone mentioned that the site glass gets cloudy and hard to see the level. That is exactly what happened to mine and I couldn't see the level. I haven't had the time or inclination to figure out how to clean that lens. I was content to know that the oil level was ok. Hope that helps!

Mark

Thanks for response. Dropped oil level slightly below oil line on glass and problem has calmed to an occasional drip. As long as bull gear can reach oil pool, everything will get lubed. Spindle bearing adjustment is also critical as it affects the tight fit of the oil slinger behind the bearing cover plate. Am bringing 3 --15" LeBlond lathes into service here, so I should have all the Lb quirks figured out by the time they are all flying! Ha

Good luck to you!

I've been putting off replacing the spindle bearings in mine, but definitely something that I need to do. That, and weld the left hand "on-off" handle back on that was broken off when I got mine 15 years ago LOL

Mark

Back