What's new
What's new

Need Sheldon help :( looking for a diagram

leonpiper69

Plastic
I know we aren't allowed to talk about sheldon's on here because everyone hates them but that yahoo group crap is so annoying and I am stuck and grasping here.

I have a walking stick, super cool lathe. But this morning it took a crap.

The shaft that turns the first set of worthington pulleys is not turning. I am going to have to get in there but would feel a lot better with a diagram to have clue what I am looking at.

Either the shaft broke or maybe there is a shear pin in there (that would be best case scenario).

Really can't afford to buy a new machine.

First of all the Sheldon lathe group over on Yahoo is not crap. There is a wealth of information on there, just need to know how to use it.
Next, Sheldon's can be discussed here without issues. I've owned two larger Sheldon's over the years.
I do not have any experience on the "walking stick" model they call it. There are pictures and a few threads on it in the Sheldon group on Yahoo. As far as I know, there is no parts book or diagrams on the Worthington drive out there anywhere. So you are much out of luck on finding any literature on it. You can start by pulling the drive out from underneath the lathe and start pulling apart until you identify the problem. I'm sure a key is sheared or a shaft has broken off. Who knows. But whining is not going to get you anywhere, here or over on the Sheldon group. Ken

There may be a wealth of info there but they keep it well hidden. I know I joined it a couple years ago but it's a waste of time. I just spent 30 mins before posting this question here trying to figure out how to just find the group I am a member of. I even googled (how do you find the actual yahoo sheldon group. All I got were hits for forums saying to go join it.

I did eventually find it (still not sure how I found it) a few mins ago and posed the question. I doubt I will get any worthwhile reply.

But I did manage to fight with the lathe with the cherry picker and get it away from the wall and found two grease fitting I had previously missed and it seems to be running fine once greased. I know I should pull the whole drive and tear it down but that will have to wait as I have too much crap in the way and another sheldon lathe right in the way that hopefully will sell anyday.

And thank you for appreciating stating facts for whining LOL I did find it amusing.

Back