What's new
What's new

Need someone to machine a Monarch 16CY Saddle (prep for turcite/Rulon)

marka12161

Stainless
I recently removed the saddle form my 16 CY and it is badly worn. The plan is to machine the bearing surfaces on the saddle in preparation for adding turcite or rulon. Once applied, i will need to scrape-in the saddle to mate with the bed-ways. I have a mill but the work envelope is too small to accommodate the saddle.

So, i'm looking for someone with the a planer or perhaps a large enough mill within driving distance of upstate NY to do the work. The bearing surfaces are approximately 29 inches long. If you know of someone capable of doing the work and within driving distance of central NY, please send me a PM

Thanks
Mark

IMG_20200406_192530859.jpg IMG_20200406_192543870.jpg IMG_20200406_192519444.jpg IMG_20200406_192509703.jpg

Partially off-topic: have you already calculated how much you need removed? That is, have you already ground/scraped the bed and checked how much do you need to raise the saddle for proper position/mesh of rack and pinion, leadscrew and all the shafts?

Paolo

Paolo,

Mark and I have talked about his rebuild...I suggested he ask here about finding a shop in NY who can help him.

I mentioned Stephen Thomas who is the moderator of PM woodworking forum. He as a nice planer and is in NY.
If he still is kicking?

I was directed here. :)
Is Stephen Thomas still here?

Thanks for that great note, John!

I'm outside Elmira.

Planer will accommodate 24" between the columns. Plenty of long travel - 80", though ends start to kick up past about 48" travel.

I'm amenable if your work fits and you share the pain.
Stand and direct, inspect, etc.

See email in link above.

smt

Thanks Steven, Email sent. 23 3/4" front to back so it will just fit.

I hope, if the planer work happens, that the OP and smt will be able to take plenty of pics and do a write up.

L7

I hope, if the planer work happens, that the OP and smt will be able to take plenty of pics and do a write up.

L7

Well, after a subtle hint like that, how can I resist?

I've always been a sucker for public humiliation (wink-wink)

But seriously, that's a great thought. I'll do my best to capture the process in pics and text for posterity.

M

Back