What's new
What's new

New bed, what tools do i need?

Decieved

Plastic
Hello all.

Im planning a new project, a lathe and would like your thoughts on what i need to scrape it flat. I do have a surface plate ~1000mm x ~600mm but i rather not use it since the machine would be rather heavy.

What tools would you say i need to blue this up?

Each surface is ~30mm wide and the 2 opposing ones are mates but the rest doest need to be in the same plane, if that makes sence.

bed.jpg

Hi and welcome,

That's a big subject to cover on a forum post, Probably better if you go and do some research and come back with specific questions about the process. Have a look at Jan Sverre Haugjord's YouTube channel this will answer a lot of you questions (he is in your part of the world ), and there are other channels like Lookcreations too.

YouTube

You will need to learn to scrape first before tackling a big project like this; you can do this alone or you could join one of Richard Kings scraping classes he is over in Europe this year, you will find more about this in other post in this forum.

Do check you dimensions I doubt if your ways are 500mm and 300mm wide

Such a small bed I´d get it ground.
Then there are other parts and challenges more delicate to address, carriages, crosslides etc involving more alignment etc.
As Tray mentioned YT is your friend, Jan Sverres videos are a wealth of info. Connellys book on machinhe reconditioning is another bedside reader. You can find a pdf online to orient yourself but I recommend getting the real thing, costly yes but definitely one of my most Valued books.

Back