What's new
What's new

New Featherweight Design 18" SE/Prism/Parallel/Precision Level Nearing Nearly Done

dgfoster

Diamond
New Featherweight Design 18" SE/Prism/Parallel/Precision Level. Nearly Done

I am working on a new Featherweight 18" SE that includes a Prism, top rail, and location for a Geieer and Bluhm Precision Level Vial. The pattern has been made and the initial test casting successfully made. As cast it weighs 11.5 pounds and when machined as intended it will weigh about 7.5 to 8 pounds but will retain excellent rigidity.

After fielding a lot of inquiries and suggestions, I decided to design and cast an 18" Featherweight straight edge that incorporates several features to make it more useful to the scraper hand.

Firstand foremost it will be rigid and durable but quite lightweight ataround 8 to 10 pounds depending on final machining.

Instead of having a curved bow, it has a straight flat top bar allowing it to be ground (or scraped) and used as a parallel.

The base is 3 1/4 inches wide as cast and 3/8" thick (intended to be machined down to 1/4") as will be the prism
face set at45 deg to the base.

There is sufficient space between the face and sole to allow bolting in a precision vial by Bluhm and Geier: A highly sensitive mounted tubular level with adjusting studs, nuts, fulcrum and base with instrument black finish. Sensitivity: 20 seconds per division.

Because of the overhang of the prism face, drilling and inserting mounting studs would be difficult unless one has specialized equipment. For that reason I plan to supply the SE's with (edited and corrected to) 5-40 mounting studs in place upon request. I THINK I can make a single-purpose drilling device to reach under the overhang and drill part way through the sole from the top to allow loctiting threaded studs for mounting the vial. (Should be an interesting project) That way the sole working surface can be left intact. At least that is the plan. Worst case scenario (and far easier but less elegant) would be to simply through drill the sole from the working side and loctite in cast iron bushings with studs in place. Functionally I think that would be fine. But I want to try the drilling from the top surface.

Finally,note the two bosses molded in to allow convenient attachment of handles to the SE.

There re is a good chance that most users will not actually use the SE in all four modes. However, those capabilities will all be available in one high quality unit at very reasonable cost. I am thinking the rough casting price will be about 190 dollars. I am unaware of any other tool offering all of these features.

BTW,I am all out of 36" Featherweights and will be casting more inthe next week.

And as work progresses on the stud drilling device and the faces and top rail are milled, I will post further updates. I also intend to clean up the pattern lettering to eliminate the small defects that are seen if you look closely at the test casting shown.

I have really been enjoying designing and casting this SE.

Denis

Edit: A sharp-eyed reader noted that the clearance holes in the precision vial base were .140" I am not sure how I missed that significant fact. I am afraid 10-24 screws would no way fit .140" holes. I appreciate the correction. I will be getting a vial in a couple days and am anxious to get my hands on it.

Attachments

• 18SEPrism (3).jpg
    18SEPrism (3).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 18SEPrism (2).jpg
    18SEPrism (2).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 18SEPrism (4).jpg
    18SEPrism (4).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 169
  • 18SEPrism (6).jpg
    18SEPrism (6).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 18SEPrism (1).jpg
    18SEPrism (1).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Interesting!

Have you considered pressing in or loctiting in a cast iron boss/ plug threaded top side only to hold the level? One could then have uninterupted scraped base.

(And, coincidemtally, I have several of their levels...)

Lucky7

That is more or less my backup plan. I was thinking a blind bushing with inserted stud. That would provide an essentially uninterrupted cast iron sole. If done neatly it would be almost invisible and functionally a continuous surface.

Denis

Apparently I've been working too many night shifts. Missed your point about gluing in a bushing in my first read thru and response. I'd gone back and edited out my suggestion apparently while you were typing as you'd already thought this thru.

To me, your design looks like it would handle as well or better than Metal Lathe Acces's 18" fitters SE. Their's has been unavailable for years (got mine at Stephen Thomas's suggestion some twenty plus years ago) so yours would fill a needed void in the market and add some useful features.

Again, congrats!

Lucky7

Cleaned out some space. I sure wish those boxes weren't so small.
Email works better for me, really.
denisgfoster at
gma il dott comm

Wow, three orders already! The castings will generally be sold unmachined and in standard thermally stress relieved condition. Machining the faces and top rail will be done on request at additional (reasonable to be determined) cost as will boring and setting mounting studs from the inside face not the scraped the face..

They are coming out of the sand very straight and probably will clean up with only 60 thou removed from each face though it was intended that .125 be removed from each face.

Denis

First "for sale" casting made today

Until now I had been testing out my new pattern with test casting varying the runner and sprue setup to make everything work just right.

Today I made the first casting intended for milling and sale. See attached pics. It is sold to a repeat customer from my 36 sales and five more are spoken for.

I am am going to make a custom single-purpose drilling device to attach to my mill so I can drill stud sockets for a Geier and Bluhm precision vial. It will reach into the center bay of the casting and bore part way through the face from inside leaving the scraped face intact. At least that is the plan. The body of the device will be a custom cast iron casting. I will update this thread as progress is made on the drilling attachment and will likely start a thread in the general section detailing the device. Of course, I can't guarantee it will work as hoped, but we'll let the chips fall where they may as they say.

Incidentally, this casting fits in a flat rate USPS box. So, shipping is not so painful. If sold as a raw casting, the runner, gates, and sprue are notched for a clean break and cracked off.

Here are some pics. I included the last end-on one to show how straight the casting is as it is pulled out of the sand---nearly no warp.

Attachments

• IMG_4775.jpg
    IMG_4775.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4773.jpg
    IMG_4773.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4772.jpg
    IMG_4772.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4771.jpg
    IMG_4771.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4776.jpg
    IMG_4776.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 113
That looks great!

One question: wouldn't it make sense to remove the runner, gates and sprue BEFORE stress relieving the casting? Or do you leave these in place because they help to hold everything aligned for the stress relieving?

That looks great!

One question: wouldn't it make sense to remove the runner, gates and sprue BEFORE stress relieving the casting? Or do you leave these in place because they help to hold everything aligned for the stress relieving?

He didn't say they were "left in place".

If sold as a raw casting, the runner, gates, and sprue are notched for a clean break and cracked off.

Denis, are you casting these yourself? Or sending them off to a foundry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be far simpler to send them off for casting. But I am doing them myself in my own foundry as I can tweak the process to make as perfect a casting as possible. Another factor in the decision to do my own casting was the fact that my patterns weigh less than a pound or two are made of wood and are fairly delicate compared to run-of-the-mill fifty to thousand pound wood or even metal patterns that the regional foundry is used to. My net casting might not weigh as much as one or two risers a large foundry is used to knocking off one of their castings. So, the workers there are used to pretty rough practices. After a few casts of my pattern, I routinely had to spend hours fixing it due to rough handling---a pattern has to be super smooth to print well in thin sections with deep draw. And the commercial castings had a rougher finish and were more subject to being less straight as they came out of the sand. (The very sympathetic and capable foundry owner who has mentored me and I could never figure out why I get less warping than his process, but it was a fact. That warping was NOT due to casting instability but was simply a matter of the cooled and stress relieved pattern having subtle curvature in planes intended to be flat and is an inherent factor in all casting manufacture. It was no problem to mill them flat and mattered little from a practical point of view.)

When done on a small scale, the casting process is very very labor-intensive and is quite labor-intensive even on a large scale. So, there is no question that this is a labor of love and not economics. That said, there are enough variables to keep track of and constantly adjust to make the process an interesting puzzle to solve. It is very exciting to cast a new pattern as that is when the rubber meets the road and you find out if your "great idea" actually will work. It is not easy to let the casting cool slowly in the sand (best practice) and then come back hours later to dig it out and see what you have. A friend likens opening a mold after casting to Christmas morning. :-)

Denis

That looks great!

Certainly the gates and runner are removed and any clean-up grinding is done before stress relief. I pictured the casting above still warm just as it emerged from the sand being only brushed off with a metal whisk broom. I am pleased with the fact that there are no fins of metal to deal with and the surface finish is quite good as is.

Denis

Denis,

Thanks for sending me your link. WOW, very impressive. looks to me that what we are witnessing here is the rebirth of Old World Craftsmanship! Both in the design and your understanding of how to manage the casting and pattern making process. Looking forward to seeing one of these in person.

Glenn

Denis,

Thanks for sending me your link. WOW, very impressive. looks to me that what we are witnessing here is the rebirth of Old World Craftsmanship! Both in the design and your understanding of how to manage the casting and pattern making process. Looking forward to seeing one of these in person.

Glenn

These straight edge projects have taught me much about casting and I know I have only scratched the surface. But I now feel like I have the various production kinks pretty well dialed and intend to concentrate, to the extent family activities and other obligations allow, on getting some more castings made, especially 36's. I have a good stock of 18's but have not yet released them for sale as I want t concentrate on 36's.

I love casting them. Every time you melt and then pour molten iron there is a definite feeling of excitement. Then having to wait 12 to 24 hours for the casting to cool before digging it out of the sand to see if the casting was successful can test patience. Then it is time to tweak equipment, mull sand, pack a mold, melt metal, and start the cycle all over.

Denis

It is fascinating to watch this project develop.
There was a chap over here in the UK in south Manchester that started making small numbers of castings for SE and similar machine rebuilding tooling. Sadly he passed away earlier this year in his late 80's, I have not been able to establish if anything was left of his patterns, castings or shop. Another missed opportunity to see first hand such skills.

looking forward to seeing a finished SE all scraped up and painted ready to go.
Thanks for the thread.

Mat

Back