New Small Flat Bottom Level/Prism/Parallel Casting Design - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    Sorry I think I missed it but how much are these going for. I have a piece of durabar I was gonna make something similar from but would buy this depending on the price.
    Prices are discussed in the first few posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    Sorry I think I missed it but how much are these going for. I have a piece of durabar I was gonna make something similar from but would buy this depending on the price.
    Between this thread and a related thread I have wandered around on price. My apologies for that.

I have sold my first batch of raw, stress-relieved castings at 60 to PM members. I feel this is a very fair price all things considered.

I am offering careful machining of the sole, prism face, top rail, and back for 90 dollars. Milling a drop-in pocket with two drilled and tapped for the tubular vial (other vial if requested by a member) and a cross vial hole is also available for 30 dollars.

I will be posting some pics a little later of the pocket and cross-vial holes I just did for a member. And I will be machining another in a day or two. Two castings have sold as unmachined castings and two machined.

I will be casting more in a few days, I hope. These will probably sell and machine for a little more money as experience has better shown me how much time and effort is invested in these tools.

I am very very appreciative of the support from the members who have already purchased or placed orders.
    (Prices will not increase for solid orders already in hand)

Denis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are a few pics. Constructive criticism/ideas welcome:

The cross vial hole is simply bore .0015 oversize for the vial. Since it is of low sensitivity, it could just be fixed (it is not now) in place with a drop or two of epoxy or cyano as the bored hole is very parallel to the sole of the level. I think the vial hole on the convex face should be closed with a bit of epoxy paste or a plug of cast iron. Otherwise it will be a dirt magnet.

Shown are Geier and Bluhm vials with the large one being a 4-3080 10 arc second vial and the smaller plastic and low-sensitivity one I do not recall its sensitivity. Their site is currently down or I would look it up. (I talked to them and their IT people are pushing to get it fixed.)

Incidentally, the machined faces would ordinarily be quite shiny. However, I stress relieved this level AFTER machining the faces as I wanted to see how much it moved with heat treat. What movement occurred is undetectable perhaps related to the slow cooling these casting receive immediately following pouring.

8-finished-2-.jpg

8-finished-1-.jpg
    8-finished-4-.jpg
    8-finished-5-.jpg

8-finished-6-.jpg

Edit: TGTool, I hope the images I believe I embedded above actually show. Why they did not work before I have no idea. I used the same procedure this time as before and they look good here. Of course, they looked OK here previously too.!

Denis
    Last edited by dgfoster; 02-27-2020 at 02:38 PM.

4. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recheck the links if you would please. They're not showing, at least for me at this point.

EDIT Working now. Don't know why before.
    Last edited by TGTool; 02-27-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pics working for me
    Level looks very nice!
    Nice work... it’s great to be able to buy something made by someone that both cares, and knows what they are doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been out of 8" SE's for a while but have some back in stock. In fact a PMer ordered one fully machined and I recently finished it. However, in the interim he (and his wife!) had some very bad luck health-wise. So, for now, he wants me to sell it to someone else. I am offering it here. I am attaching some pics of that SE. The holes for the long vial are 8-32's on 3.25" centers to fit the Geier+Bluhm 20 arc second vial 4-3032a nd the cross vial hole also is sized to fit their 3-0507 acrylic vial.
    machined2-1-.jpg
    machined2-2-.jpg
    machined2-3-.jpg
    machined2-4-.jpg

The price is 60 dollars for the casting plus 90 dollars general machining plus 40 for the pockets or 190 USD shipped priority (tomorrow).

It is best to contact me denisgfoster at gmail.com Please note there is only one "N" in my first name.

Denis
    Last edited by dgfoster; 03-12-2020 at 11:21 PM. Reason: New pictures

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just picked mine up. It's a beautiful casting and well worth the price.

I've not started on it yet, but hopefully soon.

Huge shout out to Denis -- Many thanks!!

9. Likes dgfoster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An idea for holding the cross level vial in place. Ream the hole carefully and just push the vial in. The plastic vials I'm using are slightly barrel shaped on the exterior, so can be started easily from the end of the vial that was molded with the barrel of the vial. A .0005" variance makes a big difference, though.

If the hole is slightly oversize and the vial may come out, there are a number of fixes:

Hold them in place with the usual suspects - dental impression plaster, patching plaster mixed 50/50 with flour (John Garner's method), or latex caulk in your choice of color, or the mechanical methods. I've used an automatic center punch to ding the inside of the bore (in a place where the scratch on the vial won't show and doesn't affect the reading) or press a ball against the end of the bore to make the exit hole smaller, which only works if the vial is near the open end of the bore.

More expensive options are thread the end of the bore and hold the vial in place with a soft tipped setscrew or machine a groove for an internal oring.

The plaster/liquid methods seem most attractive...

11. Likes dgfoster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The cross vials I am using are not nearly as sensitive as the lengthwise vials. The little cross vial is quoted as 45 min/.1" (35min/2mm). Division. Where the large vials are 20 seconds per 2mm division. I know that Sfriedberg has facilitated ( I have hand it to him as this must be a big headache) a big group buy of even more sensitive large vials. Anyway I’ve been boring the cross vial hole large enough so it can slide in and out pretty easily. I figured folks would secure them using epoxy And a tiny toothpick wedge or equivalent to get them set and then neatly plug the hole with grey filled epoxy or equivalent. In my view, for what that’s worth, leaving the hole open would be unsightly, though using clear epoxy might help transmit light into the vial if that is an issue at all.

I am looking forward to seeing creative approach’s various people take and hope they will be brave enough ( I have had a couple people express reluctance fearing being slammed on this forum) to post up their progress and approaches. We’d all benefit I think.

Denis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hadn't thought of the toothpick approach. Excellent idea! (I'll be sure to steal, er, use it. )

True, the plastic vials are really an indication of level, not so much a measurement.

Yeah, we're big on critical analysis here. The curse and blessing of PM.