What's new
What's new

oil grooves on the saddle cross slide ways??

On the 10ee, the apron oil pump pumps oil to the bottom cross slide ways. Most other lathe use a gravity feed from wells up above so it seems a bit off at first. The lines feeding this (under the saddle) are notorious for clogging so check them out carefully

It may have been a design change to increase the coverage of the way oil. I suspect the cross-slide never never travels past that section of the bed so it isn't exposed to the air. I also suspect the operator side of bottom of the cross-slide has oil groves in it and they never get exposed to the air. Yes those 3/32 Bijur pipes either plugged up or got smashed. I prefer Zig Zag oil groves as they spread the oil over the entire flat way. In the old days they used straight groove that were a disaster because the mating surface didn't wear and made a raised area and once the surface were lapped together the ways never got oil outside the groove and scored up. That was a nice feather (kidding)...straight oil grooves made the machines wear faster and they needed to hire me to fix it.....lol

It may have been a design change to increase the coverage of the way oil. I suspect the cross-slide never never travels past that section of the bed so it isn't exposed to the air. I also suspect the operator side of bottom of the cross-slide has oil groves in it and they never get exposed to the air. Yes those 3/32 Bijur pipes either plugged up or got smashed. I prefer Zig Zag oil groves as they spread the oil over the entire flat way. In the old days they used straight groove that were a disaster because the mating surface didn't wear and made a raised area and once the surface were lapped together the ways never got oil outside the groove and scored up. That was a nice feather (kidding)...straight oil grooves made the machines wear faster and they needed to hire me to fix it.....lol

My Colchester Master, which I think is a 70's or 80's vintage, has a straight oil groove in the cross slide way and an oil pump for the carriage and cross slide travel. The straight oil groove doesn't get exposed, but it has predictably worn a groove in the mating piece. I really thought someone like Colchester wouldn't have taken a shortcut like that.

My 59 10EE was rebuilt at some point at one of the US Gov'ts rebuild facilities. The saddle was replaced with one that had the straight groove. When I got the machine the bed had worn with a raised area where the oil groove was. I put a replacement bed on it with a saddle with zig zag grooves.

My 1962 10ee, which is line to be rebuilt, has a single groove on both the saddle and the cross slide ways.

As a repair, or upgrade, wondering if that single groove can be crossed with a few other grooves along its length. Like crossing a T.

I prefer zig zag in the middle and the T on the ends about 1" from the ends. Have to make sure the new grooves don't run off into open air, is about it. Be sure to check to see if those small copper lines are clear and if you haven't replace the small metering units. The BiJur pump is inside the apron right? What's it's status?

I prefer zig zag in the middle and the T on the ends about 1" from the ends. Have to make sure the new grooves don't run off into open air, is about it. Be sure to check to see if those small copper lines are clear and if you haven't replace the small metering units. The BiJur pump is inside the apron right? What's it's status?

I'd prefer zig zag as well, but what do you do, fill it in, then cut a zig zag ? Or cut crosses into existing single straight line.

This is not my thread, but I will surely address oil system. In the middle of a Monarch Series 61 rebuild now, probably start the 10ee sometime after the 1st of the year. However on both lathes, I'll be separating carriage from apron's oil system.

One shot or hand pump for carriage and cross slide. Apron self contained using its oil pump.

Back