What's new
What's new

Okuma LK Lathe Restoration

ncj9769

Plastic
I have been wanting to start a Okuma LK user group. A place to share information about well built, discontinued unsupported LK's. The other day I sat down and started it. I started it on instagram. (i will see how it works out) Look it up on okuma_lk_ncj9769 I have rebuilt the head stock and quick change gearbox by changing all the bearings, reworking the oil supply and return. I also sent the bed,saddle and cross slide out to get reground and turcited at Schmeide Corporation in Tennessee. Lots of work and a very long process. Hopefully this works out to be useful for home shop machinist.

IMG_2162.jpgIMG_2153.jpg

Contact on ly in the middle of the saddle of vee way. Flat way, opposite of operator closest to the chuck is worn the most. Oil port seems to have been plugged with paint of filler. Lack of lubrication caused wear in the bed and saddle on the flat way

I've had Schmeide do some bed grinding for me too. Good people to deal with.

FWIW: I don't do Instagram either. I'm currently working on a Hardinge lathe and a Harig grinder. Would really like to be able to get the Hardinge's bed ground. It's not horribly bad but it would be nice to get it perfect.

Paul

Primer on the machine

Attachments

• IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3116.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3112.jpg
    IMG_3112.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 481
Primer on machine 2

Attachments

• IMG_3117.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 86
New Lipstick

Attachments

• IMG_3131.jpg
    IMG_3131.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3130.jpg
    IMG_3130.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3129.jpg
    IMG_3129.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3128.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3127.jpg
    IMG_3127.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 146
Very nice, that’s a lot of effort.

Too bad you can no longer discuss the machine here now that it’s green :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMG_3059.jpgIMG_3067.jpgIMG_3069.jpgIMG_3068.jpg

This the lath be back from regrind at schmeide corporation. Any blue green hue is Turcite.

Attachments

• IMG_3058.jpg
    IMG_3058.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 199
IMG_6089.jpgIMG_6090.jpgIMG_6091.jpgIMG_6093.jpg

Some of the completed grind work from shmeide corporation. Beautiful, precise, and accurate work. I hand scraped the tailstock shoe flat in last picture.

I added some pictures to PM and cant figure out why posted pictures are rotating once uploaded. Anyway I will continue to post some pics daily til there is no more. If anyone owns one of these Okuma LK's and wants or needs information feel free to ask.

Thanks for the info. Looks good. It looks like you cut straight oil grooves in the Turcite instead of on the original angled ones. Most prefer that. Did they or you epoxy the Turcite on? For the readers here is the link.
Schmiede Corporation | Rebuild, Retrofit, & Remanufacture I know your trying to do Instgram too, but if you could explain why your indication the key in the tail-stock shoe, please do so. Leaving us to figure it out on our own isn't easy for folks who have never done one before. Obviously I know whats going on, but new readers don't. You could explain how you aligned the bed before scraping, etc. Thanks again for showing your rebuilding.

If you look at the picture of the tail stock shoe with the indicator this is where all the measuring started. This is the tapered side that the gibb mates too. It appears to be the original cut grind and scrape physically on casting. After performing some measurements with a last word indicator (directly on casting, and using gauge blocks, sine bar and Trig, I determined the angle the tapered gibb will need to be cut. .0515 gauge blocks were used to set the correct angle. That set me pretty much to a "0.000" TIR

Thanks for the info. Looks good. It looks like you cut straight oil grooves in the Turcite instead of on the original angled ones. Most prefer that. Did they or you epoxy the Turcite on? For the readers here is the link.
Schmiede Corporation | Rebuild, Retrofit, & Remanufacture I know your trying to do Instgram too, but if you could explain why your indication the key in the tail-stock shoe, please do so. Leaving us to figure it out on our own isn't easy for folks who have never done one before. Obviously I know whats going on, but new readers don't. You could explain how you aligned the bed before scraping, etc. Thanks again for showing your rebuilding.

All turcite hand scraping, oil grooving, adhering turcite using epoxy was done by Schmeide Corp. I left that up to them since they were the pro's so to speak. As I go through this I dont mind explaining more. I actually enjoy it. Prac. Mach. forum layout takes a bit of getting use to. I feel like my product output that people are reading could be confusing cause I am not use to posting here. But with determination I will learn it.

Back