What's new
What's new

When did you guys have a scraping class in Savannah GA?

lowCountryCamo

Stainless
I have read reference several times to a scraping class in Savannah Ga. When, where was it? I have been trying to learn scraping for 5 years and cannot believe I missed it. I have lived here my whole life. I want to attend one but seems they are always on the other sides of the country. :willy_nilly:

Late July of 2006. so long time ago. One of the managers at Continental Field Systems saw a need to instruct some of his workers in the art of scraping and persuaded Forrest
Addy to fly in for a teaching session. He realized there might be some interest and it was posted here and about 15-18 people from around the SE showed up. CFS provided the
facility and a cookout and Forrest brought some scraper blanks to which he silver soldered attendee provided carbide tips. These along with durabar practice blocks were provided
by CFS gratis. Several attendees brought hand portable machine parts and 24 to 36" CI straight edges to be scraped. Good experience for the price of a drive and hotel room
over 2 days. CFS facility was itself pretty impressive. A class picture was taken on a large planer (IIRC ~10' wide bed 30++ feet long).

I taught one at Tommy Brooks shop April of 2013 in Pine Mountain GA: We have spoken about doing another one sometime again. Send him a PM and see if he wants to do another one next spring.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...CH][ATTACH=CONFIG]112212._xfImport[/ATTACH] ]

Back