What's new
What's new

Pics of my Troyke rotary table rebuilt by Condor Machine Tool

Edster

Diamond
What do you guys think of my Troyke U-12 rotary table. I had it rebuilt by Condor Machine Tool.

Condor Machine Tool Co., Inc.

20120514_110804.jpg

More pics here

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/Troyke/20120514_110819.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/Troyke/20120514_110830.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/Troyke/20120514_110917.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/Troyke/20120514_111006.jpg

It looked like this one before the rebuild.

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/Troyke/20120514_111215.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/eww_enterprise/Troyke/20120514_111542.jpg

Btw, the last one is a DMT-15, anyone know how much these are worth?

I have CNC's at the shop so I don't think it would be used much.

:cheers:

It sure looks pretty to say the least, out of curiosity what is the advantage of them scraping the top surface like that over grinding it? I would think grinding it flat would be a lot easier.

Also I noticed you said you have all CNC's at the shop so what is the purpose of having this rebuilt other than how pretty it looks? Did they make you a new screw or what was the work done during the rebuild? Hope you don't mind the questions, sure looks great.

I was looking at Troykes a few months ago and stumbled across a Moore Precision rotary table like this one - 11" MOORE 'Ultra Precise' Hz./Vt. Rotary Table | eBay

It was poorly described and looked like it was originally installed on a prototype machine of some sort. Unused - crated and shipped for just under $500 - as it turns out, it was basically brand new and never went into use as originally configured. It is being used now! :)

Just curious, would you mind sharing what the cost was to rebuild it and basically what parts got replaced during the process? It does look pretty!
Tommy

I'm no expert, but what they did, if indeed scraped for flatness/ alignment, is they way I would have done it. It's the way Moore built their precision tables, and those are pretty decent.:drool5: Oh, And Motion Guru, as is customary for gloats on "the other board" .. You suck!! :)

the last one is a DMT-15, anyone know how much these are worth?
I picked up mine for $250 plus freight (weighs about 300lb, IIRC) and thought I got an excellent deal. I've seen individuals ask 4 to 5 times that much, but don't know how they sell at those prices. At least one dealer is asking a bit over $5,000, and another wants $3,000, which is just ludicrous. It's a very useful accessory for my all-manual shop, but next-to-worthless to anyone with CNC machines.

Assuming it's still on the pallet rack where I last saw it, I know where a DMT-18 (15x15 table, weight about 475lb?) could be had for about $1,200.

thats a horizontal/vertical table. The one I got for a little more than a song is only horizontal, but I was able to get the vernier collar from Troyke at a reasonable price, and made up some indexing plates and the rest of the handle somewhat easily too. But it was very cheap. Great tool to have when you need it.

Edster, that rascule certainly looks sharp!!
What do they claim for parallelism of the base and table, and angularity of the table to the vertical mount?

I have a 9" Troyke H/V that just might get a rebuild.....depending on $$ involved.

Rex

Thanks for all the replies :cheers:

I've got cncs at the shop but I also have four bridgeports. I have one with a small riser and thats where the rotary is gettin parked.

The table was in working condition but very dirty with years of old coolant and grime before it was rebuilt. The gears were ok. It was basically taken apart and cleaned then scraped to restore the geometry (and to make it purdy :) ). I forgot to ask if any work was done to the way surface, will have to ask the next time I talk to Gerry.

When I get it on the mill I'll check it out with an indicator to see how good it is.

Didn't get the bill yet so I don't know the final cost though the estimate wasn't bad.

I'm someone who often scrapes something for geometry/alignment/bearing and never does get around to painting it. A _good_ factory looking paint job filled, smoothed, featherfill and final gloss "porcelin" look fully detailed with clean arrises (bevels) at the transition to machined surfaces in the small machine shop can take twice the time the scraping job did on some machines & tooling.

So, if they did a 1st class mechanical rebuild maybe with a test card showing deviation of the screw/gear at various angles and scraped in the geometry "pefectly" they spent your money on what counts & you should be pleased. The surface scraping looks great! But as far as I'm concerned, painting the sides and (presumably) undersides of the T-slots is amateurish.

Other than that, pretty nice.
smt

''But as far as I'm concerned, painting the sides and (presumably) undersides of the T-slots is amateurish.''

You need to look at the pictures before you make such coments (your own amateurism/ ignorance is showing)

Good looking rebuild job

It's definatly not a first class paint job. More like some rustoleum with no fillers. I usually don't care about the paint but I just bought a rebuilt bridgeport from condor and I wanted the paint to match. Besides if the paint was too nice I wouldn't want to use the rotary :)

Here's a few pics of the rebuilt bridgeport I'm putting the rotary on.

20120419_114137.jpg

20120419_114151.jpg

I don't like the red paint in the t-slots either, it's kind of distracting and the t-slot nuts don't fit as well as I'd like.

Anyone have an ancient dro like the one on this mill? Is it still working?

Those were pics I took at condor. The machine doesn't live on a pallet.

The mill in the background is a cincinnati mill but it isn't a hydrotell. It's a gear driven 50 taper knee mill. It's got a massive knee and the ways on the y axis are huge! The head is in it's own ways too there is no quill. It's a badass machine. He does have a couple hydrotells there and one smaller one is a parts machine if anyone needs parts.

Back