What's new
What's new

plain bearing

dian

Titanium
i will be diassembling the headstock of a lathe (mini). it has a plain bearing and although i dont know what i will find i wonder what the surface finish shoud be. it has no pressure feed. smooth? how smooth? i dont intend to scrape it.

if i were to use abrasive, what gritt? lets stay with microns. what kind? no emery cloth i guess, it woud embed for sure. a stone? probably same problem. i have round norbide sticks. some round metal bonded diamond would be best, but i wouldn know where to get one.

advice? leave it alone, maybe?

edit: a file comes to mind.

i will be diassembling the headstock of a lathe (mini). it has a plain bearing and although i dont know what i will find i wonder what the surface finish shoud be. it has no pressure feed. smooth? how smooth? i dont intend to scrape it.

if i were to use abrasive, what gritt? lets stay with microns. what kind? no emery cloth i guess, it woud embed for sure. a stone? probably same problem. i have round norbide sticks. some round metal bound diamond would be best, but i wouldn know where to get one.

normally leave alone although many lathes use .001" shims or some other way to tighten up the bearing if clearance is excessive

You will see lines around the circumference. That's pretty normal, its a bit of a judgement call as to whether they are too deep or not. Mostly they are fine, and it is not worth fiddling with.

A file I think is the last thing I would consider using on a plain bearing. Way too aggressive, and leaves the wrong finish altogether, as well as being very hard to keep things round with..

Even with large bearings on railcars, the railroad folks polished the journals with a strip of fairly fine abrasive paper or the like, moving around so as to polish evenly, and holding the strip wrapped about 180 deg around the journal.

if i were to use abrasive, what gritt? lets stay with microns. what kind? no emery cloth i guess, it woud embed for sure. a stone? probably same problem. i have round norbide sticks. some round metal bonded diamond would be best, but i wouldn know where to get one.

edit: a file comes to mind.

Probably be best leaving it alone. If needed you can use what they call crocus cloth. Looks like emery paper without the abrasive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is that needed? making a new spindle?..if tight would lighter oil solve the problem?
cleaning up rust or the like?

A fine oil hone with oil makes a good clean up device..news paper and oil can polish with not taking much off the original surface.

Probably be best leaving it alone. If needed you can use what they call crocus cloth. Looks like emery paper without the abrasive.

well, thats interesting, without the abrasive? what magic stuff is that?

i can carry the lathe in one hand, so scraping is out of the question.

michi: rust? dont know what to expext, but rust on bronze? or whatever they are.

so, as to finish, how smoth? microns please.

It’s for exactly what you’d be doing with it. I work I a power plant and we have journal bearings ALL over and quite huge ones at that!!

Back