Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

likely that (Fat's) spindle has been had been damaged from the fall. Still I have used the next higher viscosity oil in old plane bearing spindles. Yes to the next higher as going more than that may cause harm. Often a spindle that has no/little heat rise is a candidate for this try. Heat should be about half warm coffee IMHO. I have no science on this but a spindle that is being considered for rebuild with no other issues than losing surface ability is a candidate for this try.
    Phillips 66 Phillips 66(R) Spindle Oil ISO Grade 22
    looks like 2-6-10-15 and 22.(May be hard to find in the quart size.)
    I think nothing beats a good PB spindle set up for a single RPM...Never used an air spindle so don't know about them. warm-up time and a little more HP need was their(PB) demise IMHO.
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 11-24-2019 at 04:11 PM.

2. Likes Lurk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wish I could add to this thread - its been fascinating and re-assuring that it has effectively summed up what I ve spent the last 3 months researching on line and in books. I've found a chap in the UK that can supply the oil grades discussed above in sizes down to 30ml upto 1 ltr (i.e small quantities). Not much use to you guys outside the UK though sorry. Best of luck with your spindle bearings. Mat