What's new
What's new

Play in Smart Brown cross slide

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
I've got the S and B 1024 running well and now checking some adjustments. If I put a dial on the tool post and push it, I get .002-.003 movement on the cross slide. There is some back lash, about .008. What should be normal and what should I be looking to adjust? The gibs are tight and actually should be loosened up a little. The S and B doesn't have a tapered gib, just a row of grub screws that push against the gib. I also have .001 movement on the spindle when pushing a bat about 4" from the chuck. The cross slide issue seems more of a concern. Under a heavier cut I see some change in the DRO which led me to put the dial on the slide. There is wear on the compound screw but the compound is locked down for this test. I need to verify if some of the movement is due to the Multifix but believe the compound itself is moving as well. Thanks for the help. Dave

Attachments

• DSCN4008.jpg
    DSCN4008.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 40
Here is what i have for diagrams. I've read that a few thou on the cross slide may be not all that unusual so my question about the slide was if the .003 by pushing on the multifix was something to be concerned about. Given the old screw and nuts, I doubt i can get less backlash than the .008 I have now. I've tightened the two nuts and any more starts to bind the handwheel.

Spindle is a separate issue and although it has less movement, it might be more concerning long term. There is a bearing adjustment inside the headstock but it pushes the bearings up a taper in the spindle. I've adjusted that and believe that any further improvement will only happen if I remove the collar in front of the headstock and remove L4 6232 and grind a thou or less off to allow the bearing to seat farther up the taper. I suspect that spindle will need to be pulled to do that so I'm putting off tearing into it. Dave
SB 1 Revised.jpgSB 2 Revised.jpg

I need photo's to give you a better answer. Please show us how you set up the indicator. Please circle the part on your print your talking about grinding. Your feed screw is probably worn in the center. It would be best to see a picture of the screw. If you know the pitch or threads per inch if it is a left or right hand thread, you can buy a new screw and nut from Green Bay Manufacturing You will have to machine the screw and nut to fit your machine.

Again take some pictures of your machine so we know you have one.

I reviewed my set up for measuring the movement on the cross slide and found that when I pushed the tool post in the direction that matched the force that would be applied during a cut, the deflection went down to less than .001. Previously I was pushing in the direction where the backlash allowed for more play. My lathe is in another location so no pictures of the dial set up but feeling better about it now. Here is what i have.DSCN3401.jpg. Old picture. Lathe now is converted to a VFD with a TENV 5 hp motor. Mark Jacobs did the design and it is just up and running. Matrix clutch needed parts and work and original three speed motor was toast. Been a long haul. Will take new pictures when I get back to the shop. Remodeling so doing woodworking rather than metal. Dave

Back