What's new
What's new

Is it possible to spray Macropoxy 646 with an inexpensive cup gun?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
I'm getting ready to paint an old Steptoe mill with Macropoxy. Did my SB lathe with it a couple of years ago...paint has been stored in conditioned shop, did some small parts a few weeks ago and was surprised to find it's still "fine".

The lathe I did by brush... finish basically sucked, but I was (and still am) more interested in durability than appearance. Just wondering if this can be effectively thinned, and sprayed with a regular cup gun satisfactorily. The viscosity of the stuff suggests that a high-pressure airless would be required.

Should I just stick with brush/roller application?

I just had my Blanchard base sprayed with this paint. My guy uses a pressure pot. This stuff goes on THICK. I am thinking this may be too thick for a standard gun, but your local Sherwin William store may have more info.

You are for sure looking at the premium paint for a machine tool. It should hold up well. We used to use HS polane but they changed that product. The Macropoxy is a step up from polane.

The Kinetic Co., Inc. on Instagram: “I just stopped by Steelwind Industries in Oak Creek to check out my 120” Blanchard base. These guys did a great job! They blasted the base…”

Back