Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Thanks Divad for introducing us to the Coborn machine. I was a bit skeptic at first when I read this post but I was off base and appreciate what you have giving us and apologize if I offended you. Rich, Pete and Phil and who did I forget are Mates down- under and I look forward to seeing more of your posts on what your rebuilding and scraping as I do there's. G'day. Rich
    No problem , just rubbed me up the wrong way when you advised to close down my post. These machines have brought a lot of pleasure and helped me earn a good living over the years, i just wanted to let people out there no that there is an alternative, even if they are thin on the ground these days, i find it pretty nostalgic especially if i fire up the coborn and some young kid wanders over and vacantly says "whats that"
    it always brings a smile to my face . cheers !

2. Likes thermite, Paolo_MD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thermite asked for a picture and you didn't say a word. It looked to me at first some smart alec playing a game as I have been around power scrapers all my life and never heard of one. Then when you did add one I never saw it laying next to the others in the picture ( I had just had eye surgery and wasn't seeing so good) so I apoligized and started to investigate and found the web-site and wrote them. I also wrote Ed Dyjack in Detroit who has sold more BIAX Scrapers then any rep here in the states and he also had never heard of one. Ed also sells all sorts of rebuilding tools. Maybe someday I will come back to visit and take it for a test drive. I did a 2 week tour of your country way back in 1972 and had a good time. Rich

4. Likes jasaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any more info on the Coborn scraper? I'd like to see how the mechanics work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a link to the patent that RC99 posted, just a different site with pdf of it.
    Power-operated hand tool for scraping and feathering

Also in searching the site above it looks like a later model with an interesting arc type stroke was patented. Wonder if it ever got produced?
    Power-operated hand tool for scraping and feathering

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I understand that Charles. When Divad first posted last night I looked up all the info I could find...and also found the patient which is all I could find on the scraper. I saw there is a company named Coborn and they make small machines Products // COBORN ENGINEERING COMPANY LIMITED. I thought about writing them about the scraper but thought I would see what Divad would answer to Bill, with a Picture. I did miss the one in the picture Davd posted..and edited my remarks.

If Divad tested the Blue Biax scrapers who many on here seem to own were made made 50 years ago. Since then they changed the designs and
    A couple of years ago BIAX changed motors that really make them purr....Another thing I discovered in the Norway class the 220 volt models run a lot smoother then the 110 volt models we have here in the states.

I will get some more info on History of scrapers after my trip to Germany. Plus get some info on pull scraping by hand. I'll ask the BIAX engineers and see what they can tell me about the other brands. I use to have a Anderson Power Scraper...now that was a scraper and it also had a grinder attached. ....I sure wish I had it today. Rich

edited: I just wrote Coborn for info on the scraper.
    Too bad I saw this post late. I worked with many Coborn machines over the years. They made some of the finest diamond cutting machines in the world at the time. Probably still do. If these truly are Coborn machines, I believe the OPs assertion that they are a cut above the rest.

Best Regards,
    Bob

8. Likes pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

David do you still have one? I would like to try it out. Rich

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmikkalson View Post
    Any more info on the Coborn scraper? I'd like to see how the mechanics work.
    I can tell you that i know there were at least 2 types produced over the years, type 2 was a heavy duty machine for roughing work , i think these were produced in low volume as i have only heard of them and never even seen one ! Type 1 is the general use type which i own two ,mine are production no 558 and 1299. i have no idea how many were actually produced, but it would be interesting to know ? as mentiond previously at some stage i will try and post a video of mine in operation ,but this wont be till i can get around to it , attached is a copy of an old drawing of type 1 . cheers

dsc06740.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by divad View Post
    I can tell you that i know there were at least 2 types produced over the years, type 2 was a heavy duty machine for roughing work , i think these were produced in low volume as i have only heard of them and never even seen one ! Type 1 is the general use type which i own two ,mine are production no 558 and 1299. i have no idea how many were actually produced, but it would be interesting to know ? as mentiond previously at some stage i will try and post a video of mine in operation ,but this wont be till i can get around to it , attached is a copy of an old drawing of type 1 . cheers

dsc06740.jpg
    I just found this thread and read it through. Thanks very much for introducing us to the rare information.

I have one question regarding the ergonomics of operating the Coborns. Based on the orientation of the handle nearest the blade, I'm not clear as to whether the operator is normally at the tail (flex shaft) end and pushes the tool, or at the blade end and pulls the tool. Please clarify.

Welcome to PM and thanks for the contribution.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by extropic View Post
    I just found this thread and read it through. Thanks very much for introducing us to the rare information.

I have one question regarding the ergonomics of operating the Coborns. Based on the orientation of the handle nearest the blade, I'm not clear as to whether the operator is normally at the tail (flex shaft) end and pushes the tool, or at the blade end and pulls the tool. Please clarify.

Welcome to PM and thanks for the contribution.
    The flex shaft is at the rear, you hold the handle closest to the blade with your forward hand and support with your other hand on the rear handle, guiding forward or using your preferred scraping motion.Different finish effects can be obtained by adjusting the stroke length and/or scraping "technique", and the size and shape of your carbide tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that this auction is over. Did you guys notice the brand new Biax Pneumatic version.

Dapra Biax DL 40 Pneumatic Power Scraper | eBay

It went for $850. When I was a puppy, the company I apprenticeship in only had the air powered ones. I don't know why.

Regards Phil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Coborn seems so simple.
    I'm a spaz and many times try to make stuff I can buy cheaper.Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machtool View Post
    Now that this auction is over. Did you guys notice the brand new Biax Pneumatic version.

It went for $850. When I was a puppy, the company I apprenticeship in only had the air powered ones. I don't know why.

Regards Phil.
    Yes I followed it, seemed like a steal with all the blades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking about steals...
    This morning I left for Tuckahoe before receiving the daily eBay search results. Only seeing now. :-( I bet that, out there, there's somebody with a radiant grin.

Paolo

17. Likes bmikkalson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ben I think I solved your problem, I found you an old blue one I got for a deal. I will have it tomorrow. If not I will sell it to the highest bidder. :-)
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo_MD View Post
    Talking about steals...
    This morning I left for Tuckahoe before receiving the daily eBay search results. Only seeing now. :-( I bet that, out there, there's somebody with a radiant grin.

Paolo
    God....that was a deal....I paid $999.00 for a Green one and i thought was a deal......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machtool View Post

Regards Phil.
    Hi Phil, over in the UK pneumatic tools were deemed to be safer than similar electrical equipment. I'm not sure I altogether agree with that theory.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Phil it's funny you mentioned that, as reading the pros/cons about the shaft drive it made me think of the air powered Biax, next thing you mentioned it.

How do you find the air powered version compared to the electrical? As Tyrone mentioned, sometimes air is used because it's safer, but more so the air motors are much smaller and lighter. I've never seen an air powered Biax and always wondered how they stacked up to the electrical versions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen 2 and tried them 1 a couple of times. A friend of mine bought one for scraping down in Central Virginia in the summer the found because he figure it would run cooler in his Non air conditioned shop. I think they are more of a stay at the bench model. His electric Biax's got hot and were hard to hold. The air operated one was one speed and it had to have a very expensive air cleaner and oiler set up. I tried it and the green hose going into it was also the muffler for the exhaust. It was cumbersome and not having variable speed was like having an old blue one. Now thinking about the Colburn I wonder how portable it was? I recall at the IMTS show a several years ago DAPRA said they had sold 1 to a company scraping paint inside a chemical tank...I can check with DAPRA in Monday and see how many air powered ones were sold last year. My friend Roger who had one bought a electric motor and changed it to electric variable speed. Rich

PS: I just checked to see the price of the model 7DLM Pneumatic Scraper "Price on Request" I'll check that too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete F View Post
    How do you find the air powered version compared to the electrical? As Tyrone mentioned, sometimes air is used because it's safer, but more so the air motors are much smaller and lighter. I've never seen an air powered Biax and always wondered how they stacked up to the electrical versions.
    Speed control is just about non existent, whilst they were slower than the Electric versions at 1,400
    spm, you couldn't really throttle them back. If you reduce pressure, you lose grunt.

Ours all had a lenght of 3/4 clear PVC tubing hanging off the exhaust at the rear, about 15" long. That got in the way. Take it off, you got blasted with the exhaust.

Fair air hogs at about 12 - 14 gal/m, and the speed changed with pressure.

What I really really remember about them, was using them in winter. They would just about drip condensate using all that air, and they got cold to hold onto.

Give me an electric any day.

Regards Phil.

24. Likes Richard King, Pete F liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ben I think I solved your problem, I found you an old blue one I got for a deal. I will have it tomorrow. If not I will sell it to the highest bidder. :-)
    Rich

Oh no sh!t,, call u tomorrow.