What's new
What's new

power scraper best ever ?

divad

Plastic
Hi all this is my first post here as i stumbled on this site while surfing the net.I was surprised to see so many posts regarding biax scrapers i had thought interest in such skills was almost extinct !!! I am a Mechanical Fitter by trade and over the years have done my share of scraping, not i might add to the extent of some on here ! I myself own 3 old type biax (fixed speed ) I can vouch that they are certainly quality machines,however my most favorite machine is actually British made of which i own two, these are now old machines from the 50's 60's. They were built in London by Coborn, I like to use them as the smooth operation while scraping is to me even superior to biax, they have a lovely balance, these don,t have an integral motor,but a separate motor driving a flexi-shaft driving an aluminium body scraper with fully adjustable stroke.An added bonus is the motor also carries a diamond wheel for on-site tip sharpening, one of my machines even has a radius attachment.AS they say "real old school quality ". Cheers guys.

Ill bet those things are as rare as hens teeth....you might have the last working pair. I will bet those cable drives would be hard to get fixed also. The working heads are larger than I thought they would be, they dont look like they would be that much easier to handle than the Biax. What is it about them you like?

Charles

Those are BIAX..the other looks like an antique. I saw that patient too but never saw a scraper as I searched for one......there is a couple of others out there plus homemade scrapers....the bottom line is BIAX is the champion of units produced. I can check, but I would bet there are 50,000 plus BIAX scrapers out there..

OOPS on the picture MATE......

Last edited:
Ill bet those things are as rare as hens teeth....you might have the last working pair. I will bet those cable drives would be hard to get fixed also. The working heads are larger than I thought they would be, they dont look like they would be that much easier to handle than the Biax. What is it about them you like?

Charles

They way the front and rear handgrips are sized and positioned suit me just nicely, they aren,t to heavy either, they were designed for guys to hang onto all day! The flexi- shafts are very durable and make a nice noise while in operation. I've dissasembled them a couple of times to service them and are like new inside ,replacing any of the components would not be a problem but i think they will outlast me and more to follow. cheers.

them

Hi all this is my first post here as i stumbled on this site while surfing the net.I was surprised to see so many posts regarding biax scrapers i had thought interest in such skills was almost extinct !!!

There has been a few scraping classes held in Melbourne over a weekend the past few years... It has drawn people from every state in the country.. I think the 5th and probably last one is being held this weekend..

A quick google revealed several patents taken out regarding power scrapers by Coborn engineering, the inventer being Reginald James Aspeek, the earliest was from 1946..

Patent US2503539 - Power-operated hand tool for scraping and feathering - Google Patents

There has been a few scraping classes held in Melbourne over a weekend the past few years... It has drawn people from every state in the country.. I think the 5th and probably last one is being held this weekend..

A quick google revealed several patents taken out regarding power scrapers by Coborn engineering, the inventer being Reginald James Aspeek, the earliest was from 1946..

Patent US2503539 - Power-operated hand tool for scraping and feathering - Google Patents

Thats good to here, hope the guys enjoy it! Go the aussies ! Even if i am a pom !!! cheers.

Richard there can be no doubt that the Biax is the survivor and has beat out all of its competitors. But that doesnt change the fact that for some people another design might suit them better. Those people have just as much right to their opinion as you do to yours. Play nice....

after all like you said the Biax is available world wide, the Corborn isnt. Not very likely your going to loose many sales to them as competition...:)

Thanks for sharing Divad, It would be neat if you have time to do a short video showing your tools in action. Just so there is a record of them, I doubt there are many others out there still in use, outside of England anyway.

Charles

Best ever in my opinion is the BIAX...Swiss / German made. Sold worldwide for over 60 + years.....

BIAXStartseite

you'll notice i put a question mark after "best ever" merely to encourage discussion, as i said in my first post i am very fond of the biax, but the coborn also has many merits, but since you haven't seen one, let alone used one perhaps you might wait until you run others down ? There are huge numbers of minis on the road, but that doesn't mean they are a better car than a rolls royce, also if something is "antique" that hardly should dismiss it's relevance ! as you should well know, wake up and smell the roses mate before you to turn into an antique ! cheers

Yes I understand that Charles. When Divad first posted last night I looked up all the info I could find...and also found the patient which is all I could find on the scraper. I saw there is a company named Coborn and they make small machines Products // COBORN ENGINEERING COMPANY LIMITED. I thought about writing them about the scraper but thought I would see what Divad would answer to Bill, with a Picture. I did miss the one in the picture Davd posted..and edited my remarks.

If Divad tested the Blue Biax scrapers who many on here seem to own were made made 50 years ago. Since then they changed the designs and
A couple of years ago BIAX changed motors that really make them purr....Another thing I discovered in the Norway class the 220 volt models run a lot smoother then the 110 volt models we have here in the states.

I will get some more info on History of scrapers after my trip to Germany. Plus get some info on pull scraping by hand. I'll ask the BIAX engineers and see what they can tell me about the other brands. I use to have a Anderson Power Scraper...now that was a scraper and it also had a grinder attached. ....I sure wish I had it today. Rich

edited: I just wrote Coborn for info on the scraper.

Any more pics, I googled but these appear to be rare as python feathers.

I wanna say I seen one on eBay like a year ago. I remember thinking, it looked like a old drill. Of course now I know it was a golden nugget.

Any more pics, I googled but these appear to be rare as python feathers.

I wanna say I seen one on eBay like a year ago. I remember thinking, it looked like a old drill. Of course now I know it was a golden nugget.

That is often the case isnt it, one of the Anderson power scrapers was also on there a couple of years ago. Not interested in them myself but they dont show up very often.

Charles

Richard there can be no doubt that the Biax is the survivor and has beat out all of its competitors. But that doesnt change the fact that for some people another design might suit them better. Those people have just as much right to their opinion as you do to yours. Play nice....

after all like you said the Biax is available world wide, the Corborn isnt. Not very likely your going to loose many sales to them as competition...:)

Thanks for sharing Divad, It would be neat if you have time to do a short video showing your tools in action. Just so there is a record of them, I doubt there are many others out there still in use, outside of England anyway.

Charles
Thanks Charles I'll see what i can do, but can't promise ! next time i'm on a job i use them, it's using the video/computer that i struggle with !!!

Thanks Charles I'll see what i can do, but can't promise ! next time i'm on a job i use them, it's using the video/computer that i struggle with !!!

I understand there are many skills we need for our job and life, videos are not one of them most of us need. But even if you just do a short video of them on the bench or on a piece of scrap? As far as we know there is no video record of these tools so to have even a short one would be nice. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Or ask your neighbor, perhaps they have a teenager who can help you out....;)

Charles

Back