power scraper best ever ? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys, I was just interested as I hadn't heard of anyone using them. Yeah I can well imagine them being air hogs! I wonder if it would be possible to fit them with a throttle mechanism similar to an air riveter? I don't know much about air tools and just plug them in and use them as required. However they wouldn't seem to be too practical outside a fixed workshop environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just called Matt at DAPRA and he said the price of the air powered scraper...is....sit down....lol...Close to $6000.00. He said he didn't sell any last year and could not remember when he sold one... He also mentioned it was 1 speed and the air filtration system that comes with it is what makes it so expensive. Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, you could get a " Rolex " for that. Thinking about it I'm just glad " Rolex " don't make scrapers.

Regards Tyrone.

4. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    I just called Matt at DAPRA and he said the price of the air powered scraper...is....sit down....lol...Close to $6000.00. He said he didn't sell any last year and could not remember when he sold one... He also mentioned it was 1 speed and the air filtration system that comes with it is what makes it so expensive. Rich
    Wow! I guess at that price it comes with a 12 month supply of a little bloke to operate it for you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can never follow why power flakers consistently go for more money then the power scrapers..

Even an old blue 8E flaker will go for slightly less money then a green 7ELM scraper, and an HM10 flaker, if you can get one for less then $2000 second hand, you are getting a bargain...

I have an 8E flaker and I am not unhappy I have got it, but I have used it but a tiny bit compared to the 7EL I have...

And the 7EL mechanism is amazingly much more complicated then the 8E which I think even an average HSM person could replicate the mechanism with but a lathe and mill...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    I can never follow why power flakers consistently go for more money then the power scrapers..
    I guess they are just rarer on the used market and don't come up as often? When they do come up the person can pretty much ask any figure that pops into their heads, don't like it, buy the others being sold at the same time ... no wait

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not as many are sold. Rare as hens teeth. I saw an old blue one Ebay a few days ago. On those old ones, use a 10 amp speed control on them to slow them down. Be sure the front edge of the blade is sharpened to a neg 5 degree with 60radius.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have decided to sell one of my Biax scrapers if anyone is interested, would be ideal for a Aussie buyer its on eBay now !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete F View Post
    I guess they are just rarer on the used market and don't come up as often? When they do come up the person can pretty much ask any figure that pops into their heads, don't like it, buy the others being sold at the same time ... no wait

In the UK there used to be lots of machine tool " re-builders, re- conditioners etc " . Some did a good job depending on what you wanted to pay. I'm sorry to say there were quite a few that didn't. Two essential tools for the latter group were a 3" paint brush and a tin of re- conditioning paint. The other essential tool was a " Biax " power half moon flaker. They'd go over worn ways with the " Biax " flaker and give them the impression of being in good condition. These " cowboys " as we used to call them ( no offence to any Texans reading this ) had no need for a proper scraper because the never did any proper scraping.

Regards Tyrone.

11. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The scraper I've used for 25 years is the blue air powered scraper, it's heavier I think than the newer electric ones. I don't have any air filtration other than what's in the line, and she never complains.
    parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a pneumatic one. If anybody wants it its theirs for the steal of 1000$. Its the new type. Shipping would be around 100$ to the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was told today BIAX Germany will give you E 300.00 trade in on old BIAX for new ones. But can only be from Europe..not the USA. Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since this thread is about the only information on the web concerning the old Coborn scrapers, and I have one, I thought a movie would add to its fame

Mark

16. Likes CBlair, Milland, Demon73, jz79, Paolo_MD and 9 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That thing looks like it has some serious balls!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not polite to call me a thing, but I appreciate the compliment....

It is only a 0.25kW motor, so 1/3 hp. Seems well matched to the machine, as it never slows or bogs down.
    Mark

19. Likes pressbrake1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rotarySMP View Post
    Since this thread is about the only information on the web concerning the old Coborn scrapers, and I have one, I thought a movie would add to its fame

Mark
    Thank you or taking the time and making the effort to add to the knowledge.

Bill

21. Likes rotarySMP, 3512B, pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s super cool,
    Thanks for making and sharing the video .