What's new
What's new

Pratt and Whitney disassembly

MatthewL

Plastic
I just got a Pratt and Whitney no. 3 milling machine. It is in pretty rough shape, so I would like to fix the issues and paint it. The machine doesn't have much wear on the ways, and all of the problems are easy to fix. The machine is pretty straight forward to disassemble, but I want to make sure I remove the spindle correctly. I was considering using a puller like I would use to remove a spindle on my south bend 9 inch. I gave it a few light taps with a rubber mallet to see if the spindle would move easy, but it didn't move at all. Is there any thing I have to do that isn't immediately obvious in order to remove it?

Also, this may require another thread, but my machine didn't come with a vertical attachment, does anyone think it is something I could make? I have lathe and a Taig mill, and I could purchase the gears.

Thanks,
-Matthew

You may want to ask to have this post moved to the Vintage machinery forum.

Do You have a manual on the machine? If you could post some pictures that would help too.

From the pictures I saw. It looks like there is a retainer nut in front of the sheave that must be loosened. I am sure I could figure it out if I saw a drawing or some photo's.

I ended up getting the spindle out. Turns out there was a threaded part, it came off pretty easily.

I am now trying to get one final part apart. In the knee there is a crank that turns some gears which turns the acme screw, controlling the height of the table. Anyways, I believe I will need to remove a taper pin from the gears which are inside the casting. I carefully tapped one of the taper pins, and it came almost all of the way out pretty easily. The problem is how close the casting is to the gears. I tap the taper pin from the one side, and it hits the casting preventing it from coming out.
Knee mill 1.jpg
Knee mill 2.jpg
Knee mill 3.jpg
Any insight appreciated.

-Matthew

Sorry, just realized that the last two photos are upside down, and the first photo is sideways. Not sure how to fix it.

Alright, I also got the pins out using vise grip pliers. I should really take a moment to think before I post.

I have now stripped the machine down using Citristrip. Under all of the paint there seems to be what looks like tar coating the whole thing. It seems like it would be a lot of work to remove that. Can I prime and paint over it using Rustoleum enamel? (beige like the original color) It was made in around 1910.

Back