What's new
What's new

quality pulley/Gear puller

TTalma

Aluminum
I'm looking for a Quality pulley/gear puller. Most of what I find on the net are automotive related. I am looking for something for machines. I restore old woodworking machines, and sometimes the pulleys get rusted on. I have a cheap puller (Harbor freight) and have broken the links. I use a press when I can, but sometime a puller is the right tool.

SO who makes a good one that will work on pulleys up to 6"

Most of my pullers are Proto, Kent-Moore, or OTC, all used in the automotive world, and the industrial world. All sorts of configurations because each works best in a certain way. Purchased most used off ebay for a fraction of original cost. I have tried the HF pullers, they all suck (break), except for the blind hole bearing puller.

I would never consider a gear puller an automotive tool. but I have found OTC tools very well made and have worked very well on machine tools.

I have collected OTC jaw pullers up to 36" leg/ 30 ton. 3 years of daily use with a high-zoot impact gun on one of the handheld sizes sold me on them.

Recently used the hydraulic 30 tonner on some big dozer clutch parts and kept breaking paired up 3/4" allthread. Turned out Fastenal's B7 wasn't really B7. Got some good stuff and got it apart.

I was bored to death out of town at a hotel for a family reunion. I hopped on craigslist and saw that 30 tonner for $200. I rented a car and drove 6 hours to go fetch it and had to pay extra baggage fees to fly with it, but it was worth it.

To all the Members. Garwood is a really good guy and a heck of a machinist. He is the fellow who volunteered his shop to host the "Make a Wish" class I taught to Hunter Hightower a few years ago. His daughter was also there, She is a cutie and when we did the "repeat the scraping rules" she had them memorized too. That class was a highlight of my career.

Attachments

• Hunter class.5 (1).jpg
    Hunter class.5 (1).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 45
  • HunterClass.1.jpg
    HunterClass.1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 47
If it is really tight.od shaped or big I I drill and tap 2 holes close to the shaft in the pulley/gear
Then a long piece of heavy bar stock with 2 holes drilled the same pitch And one hole drilled and tapped in the middle
Bolt ther bar stock to the pulley and use the centre bolt to pull it off
Centrehole with a fine tread if possible The long piece of stock is good as a reaction arm
Works much better as a pulley
A place I worked at we had a lott of chainwheels And we drilled the holes from new

peter

To all the Members. Garwood is a really good guy and a heck of a machinist. He is the fellow who volunteered his shop to host the "Make a Wish" class I taught to Hunter Hightower a few years ago. His daughter was also there, She is a cutie and when we did the "repeat the scraping rules" she had them memorized too. That class was a highlight of my career.

Boy, that was awhile ago! I have lots more gray hair now!

Bought a different place 6 years ago and built a shop 4 times the size of the old one.

Hunter was here a couple weeks ago helping take apart a couple machines headed to scrap.
MV's leaving.jpg

To all the Members. Garwood is a really good guy <snip>.

I was reading a biography of Harry Truman and he was apparently also considered a good guy. He'd spent some early years as an inspector with the railroad, and that may be where he expanded his vocabulary. He must have been well regarded by the workers, because when he left they gave him a card attesting that "Harry is a thoroughly good guy, from his asshole out in every direction."

Can't hardly get a better compliment than that.

Jan or TC thanks. Your a really nice guy too. Helped set up the Dallas class we had several years and you atteneded 2 classes too, didn't you?

Yeah, met you first at J&S Valve and then in Texas. I was trying to set up a class in the Dallas area and another guy jumped in and took it over instead. I was down visiting the guy who ran the engineering shop at UT Arlington that weekend. That would have been a good location too.

Chris Colbert from Austin a 2 time student and engineer is going to start teaching /hosting them in the SW from now on. He also bought a big planner to complement his other machines and is building a 100 x 300 building as we speak. He has assisted me at J&S a couple of times too rebuilding lathes and with maintenance work. Steve and I have had a falling out and I will not be teaching there again unless he changes his mind. He has some of my tools there, not sure he will return them.

Back