Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rahn Granite Angle questions on Rahn and value

I have a lead on a granite 2 x 6 x 9 right angle made by Rahn. I tried to find out more about the Rahn company, but haven't been able to. What happened to them? Were they absorbed by Starrett or another manufacturer? How long have they been out of business or are they under a new name altogether?

Just wonder what would someone expect to pay for an uncalibrated angle in this size, in relativelty decent ondition, based on observation alone? I assume it was an A grade.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW I bought a Rahn granite square from Small Tools Inc about 10 years ago, it had a 5/8' wide steel parallel embedded in one face to align it with a table slot, it's about 12" x 8 " x 2' thick, I paid about $100.

3. Likes Jarrod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Value depends on how bad you need a reference square. The small size makes it difficult to fasten workpieces for inspection, and unless its a special configuration, very difficult to counterweight.

For something truly useful, get a 6 x 6 x 6 granite angle, four face if you can find it. I have one with embedded steel pucks so it can be used directly on a magnetic chuck as well as for inspection. It is easy to fasten workpieces to the angle, and you can check the third side for mutual perpendicularity.

Read up on how to self verify a square so you can check the accuracy of your master.

5. Likes Jarrod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

jarrod --

Rahn was absorbed by Tru-Stone. Sometime later, Starrett bought Tru-Stone and merged their own precision stoneware business into Tru-Stone.

John

7. Likes Jarrod liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Garner View Post
    jarrod --

Rahn was absorbed by Tru-Stone. Sometime later, Starrett bought Tru-Stone and merged their own precision stoneware business into Tru-Stone.

John
    Thanks John. I figured as much and imagine Collins Microflat met some similar fate. All great products in their own right.

Thanks again, all of you, for the insights.

J.