Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A question for you guys, what is a good method of cleaning the electrical compartment

resize-img_6454.jpgresize-img_6455.jpgresize-img_6457.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine Builder View Post
    A question for you guys, what is a good method of cleaning the electrical compartment

resize-img_6454.jpgresize-img_6455.jpgresize-img_6457.jpg
    Suction-feed air blast nozzle and ignorant mineral spirits was what they USED TO use. Flammable as Hell, of course. Then a Freon-based cleaner, or trichlor, believe it or not. What did we know about holes in the Ozone or br bra bari DAMMIT! ...."brain" cancer?

All we knew is neither of 'em kilt folk as Carbon Tetrachloride was wont to do. Time was, we were still using that in fire extinguishers.

Brake-Klean definitely NOT.

I'm back to 409, chip brushes, and "organic" Ethanol - the kind that does NOT use Methanol for the denaturant - then shop-vac outlet, compressed air, hair-dryer.. wotever.

Clean it DRY first! The more of the rocks and dog hair removed, the less solvent you'll need.

Electrical "contact cleaner" is only really for... contacts. Not terminals. (Go figure..) And rheostat sliders.

2CW

3. Likes Turbine Builder liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK thanks, will brush out all the loose dirt first and try a bit of Ethanol or some mineral spirits and dry with compress air.

5. Likes thermite liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got the rest of the components off today, and got the main body of the mill onto a pallet jack so i can move it in and out of the work shop for cleaning and prepping for painting. Also got the original manual for the mill.

resize-img_6462.jpgresize-img_6463.jpgresize-img_6464.jpgresize-img_6470.jpgresize-img_6471.jpg

7. Likes thermite liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had to do some other projects that needed to be done , but now back on with the mill project. Started to clean the main body of the mill and the coolant tank. Clean out all the sludge out of the tank and degrease, did a test with a wire wheel on a angle grinder to remove the lose paint, body filler, rust made the job easy Clean up the machined surfaces. Dose any one know what would a good metal body filler, like maybe automotive body filler
    Cheers,
    Mark.

resize-img_6516.jpgresize-img_6517.jpgresize-img_6518.jpgresize-img_6523.jpgresize-img_6527.jpg

9. Likes Sachmanram liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

resize-img_6519.jpgresize-img_6520.jpgresize-img_6525.jpgresize-img_6526.jpgresize-img_6524.jpg

11. Likes Sachmanram, cyanidekid, Richard King liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Automotive body filler is fine You have some grades in them and I pick the grade that sands the easiest
    I would wash the sump with lye

Peter

13. Likes Turbine Builder liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Peter,
    I can only get caustic soda here in AUS but i think Lye is caustic soda Also i watch a you tube vid and the chap was restoring a bridgeport mill and he use lemon on the machined surfaces, I'm not sue if that to remove the stains I use scotch brite pads and WD40 to get rid of the rust but hard to get the stain out

Cheers,
    Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For rust and stains I use a toiletcleaner/rustremover which is for the most phosoric acid and some inhibaters
    Any toiletcleaner with over 50% of pfosphoric acid will do IMHO
    Citric acid also works but not as good I think
    Yes Lye is the same thing as caustic sode Be carefull with the stuff Works really well on degreasing but burns you up

peter

16. Likes Turbine Builder liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Turbine Builder;3128737]A question for you guys, what is a good method of cleaning the electrical compartment

Looks like it’s got some decent bones there, interesting “split stubby leadscrew” config too.

For the first go-round on dusty electrics I like a paintbrush and a decent vacuum cleaner held close by, DO go anti-static if it got any chips, (the integrated curcit types!)

any fluid type cleaner at this stage will Just make a muddy mess.

I like your style, you seem to pick your iron with reasonable care before dragging it home, that’s a smart way to start out. Lord knows, I dragged home some questionable junk in the beginning. Would NEVER do that now..

18. Likes Turbine Builder liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK good idea yeah i remember about caustic sode thanks for your help will get down to the hardware store and pick up those items.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks mate, yeah i first use a small brush which didn't do much so i use a bit of degreaser in a spry can and dry with compress air all good. I was looking for this type of mill for a couple of years, i did miss out on one last year. Just do your home work first and decide what type of machine you want to buy remember persistence will pay off

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

might want to get a pre-mixed sodium hydroxide (lye) cleaner, its much safer to handle and they work great. we here have something that calls itself Zep industrial purple H/D cleaner degreaser. isobutal alcohol and lye. its the mixing of the dry with water that can "explode" on you. take care, full face shield and rubber apron if you go that way

22. Likes Turbine Builder liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah Peter from Holland mentioned using Lye. Yes will have my PPE on.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a short update, done some body filling on the main body of the mill and it failed. I rush into the body filling process so spent a couple of days removing the body filler which wasn't sticking to the metal. So will sand the base of the mill back to bare metal and the top part sand back to the original body filler and add primer.
    resize-img_6599.jpgresize-img_6600.jpgresize-img_6601.jpgresize-img_6602.jpgresize-img_6603.jpg

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

resize-img_6604.jpgresize-img_6605.jpg

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After some more sanding got the first coat of primer on, I'm happy with the results. Have stated work on the knee as well.
    resize-img_6606.jpgresize-img_6607.jpgresize-img_6608.jpgresize-img_6609.jpgresize-img_6610.jpg

27. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks super! Great choice of color, too.

What I do of late is to paint in a gloss enamel and once stone dry I apply one coat of eggshell enamel. I find it gives a more forgiving kind of surface.
    A problem I have ( here in RSA ) is that enamel paints started to be very slow to dry - some sort of new formulation, I believe.

29. Likes Turbine Builder liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks mate, will be using Dulux metal shield Quick Dry Alkyd Gloss Enamel for the Topcoat. The colour will be a bit darker grey to the grey primer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The brake shoes on your machine look utterly identical to the ones on a TOS FNK25a. Are the shoes 10mm in height and about 152mm wide? That is the size of the ones on the FNK25a. If so, you can still obtain the shoes, with applied liners, from TOS, so perhaps the liner material is still available as well. Not sure what kind of adhesive would be used in that application.

32. Likes Turbine Builder liked this post