What's new
What's new

It is a real problem to locate surface pate inspection and resurfacing companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsipo

Diamond
Granite Surface Plate Lapping and Inspection Vendors in North America by state

I have been looking low and high for someone in the mid-Atlantic region. I think it would be a good idea to start a sticky and people could add a list of reliable vendors with real pricing.

dee
;-D

Last edited:
I talked with Master Gage & Tool in Danville, VA. I got their name from a nearby state-of-the-art CNC shop that uses them. They gave me what I thought was a reasonable quote. Under $500 to come to my shop to calibrate my 36x48 plate to Grade A. $150 of that cost was travel. I'm two hours away. Haven't done it yet. They are probably five hours away from DC. I don't know how far afield they go. Can't hurt to give them a call I suppose.

Website: Master Gage & Tool Co. | Metrology Services | Specialty Tooling
112 Maplewood Street
Danville, VA 24540

John

Please add bedway grinding services to the "coastal" mid-Atlantic needs list if we can do, as well.

Seems to be a dearth of those, our metro areas being primarily paperwork, advertising, and government lies industry.

Most of what I have found is in PA, North of Phila to Altoona general area, west around Harrisburg, else New Jersey.

Baltimore, what with the port and vessel maintenance I'd have thought had the industry, but I have not personally found it.

Dear moderator,

I can not change the title of the thread would you please do it for me?

here is the new title:

"List of Granite Surface Plate Lapping and Inspection Vendors in North America by state"

dee
;-D

I am also in the market for this information in central Michigan. I just picked up a 30"x60" Rahn plate, that as best I can tell was once grade A in the mid-nineties. Right now it's sitting in OtherBrother's shop since I don't particularly relish winching 1500 lbs of granite into my basement. That, and I bought it as a scraping reference (once calibrated), and he's the person teaching me machine rebuilding, so it makes a certain amount of sense to, say, drag the mill table up to his shop anyway.

Does anyone have a good recommendation in Michigan?

Thanks,
Will

Dear moderator,

here is the new title:

"List of Granite Surface Plate Lapping and Inspection Vendors in North America by state"

dee
;-D

Dee,
While this thread is fresh and without much information yet, what about starting a new one with the correct title, summarize the info there and redirect everybody to the new thread?

Paolo

I am also in the market for this information in central Michigan. I just picked up a 30"x60" Rahn plate, that as best I can tell was once grade A in the mid-nineties. Right now it's sitting in OtherBrother's shop since I don't particularly relish winching 1500 lbs of granite into my basement. That, and I bought it as a scraping reference (once calibrated), and he's the person teaching me machine rebuilding, so it makes a certain amount of sense to, say, drag the mill table up to his shop anyway.

Does anyone have a good recommendation in Michigan?

Thanks,
Will

Say hello to Darrel :-)

Dear moderator,

here is the new title:

dee
;-D

Sorry Dee I cannot change a title, that requires someone else to do it. I will contact Don and ask him if we can do this for you. Or we can wait a few days and I will create a Sticky with only the pertenant information in it and a link to this thread. Let me know if that will work for you. Have a good weekend, I will be working.

Charles

For bedway grinding out east you can put Marena Industries on the list.

Marena Industries Full service metalworking

I have been in the shop and met Ted, good operation and experienced staff.

Thanks!

That should be handy for all of New England and Eastern NY, down to New Jersey, maybe NE Pennsylvania as well.

Still looking, roughly Richmond VA North to Philadelphia, West to Harrisburg in the North, mayhap Roanoke to the South - or something like that.

Sorry Dee I cannot change a title, that requires someone else to do it. I will contact Don and ask him if we can do this for you. Or we can wait a few days and I will create a Sticky with only the pertenant information in it and a link to this thread. Let me know if that will work for you. Have a good weekend, I will be working.

Charles

I think waiting, extracting, condensing the info collected into a sticky is the better option.
Editing it once in awhile to keep it up to date, helpful as well.

"Surface PATE" can also be corre..welll... maybe leave that part alone? Who in this trade has any hair left, anyway?

Meanwhile "PracticalMan is the "Super Moderator" seat, and Don very rarely operates it himself these days. Staff member Jessica does that.

Last edited:
You Americans do have some odd expressions !

To me the Mid Atlantic is the Mariana Trench or there abouts, and I doubt that you'll find many machine shops there !

You Americans do have some odd expressions !

To me the Mid Atlantic is the Mariana Trench or there abouts, and I doubt that you'll find many machine shops there !

Given the Marianas Trench is generally agreed to be in the Western Pacific Ocean, I think we have discovered why the Royal Navy is down to a mere shadow of its former greatness. Or at least a pitifully small "hull count" afloat.

As to machinery and machine shops, "down there"? Parts of the Pacific are virtually paved with it. "Iron bottom sound" but one area of several.

The majority of that machinery was built by and for the Imperial Japanese Navy. It was subsequently distributed by their largest, ever, single dealer in spare parts, the Unites States Navy.

Do you have Peiffer? Between Hbg and Allentown. - Peiffer Machine Services

NOW we do, thanks!

ISTR having seen that before, but one of the challenges for we grind-two-beds-in-a-whole-lifetime peons is ..

we've no klew as to whom delivers the goods at reasonable fees and turnaround... or just hired themselves a glitzier website creator than a better firm.

"The tongue of good repute" can surely help.

PM at work.. etc..

Peiffer has been around forever, and the go to shop for this area. my only experience was when a dealer called them to quote repairs on a turret lathe I purchased (yes that long ago, probably '80s) from them and they sent someone to my shop to inspect it for rescraping. I sent the lathe back so never got to see them in action. I called them 5-8 years ago about repairing scored ways on a used mill, their honest recommendation was to purchase the moglice and do it myself if I didn't want to put the machine on the planer mill and do it right because they were so busy. I have not heard anything bad about them.

Campbell's G.S.P.S. – Granite Surface Plate Calibration

Campbell's Granite Surface Plate Service has several areas of the country they provide services in, though they are based in AZ.

I learned about them from someone I met who worked in Kansas City. I was told that they would be in the area twice per year, so it might be a while before they were back in the area. I called, left my contact information, was called back in a day or so, and learned that they would be in the area the following month.

When they were going to be passing through my area they called again and firmed up the time.

I found Mike Campbell to be through and careful in his work, and in explaining the options I had, and the cost that went along with them.

Mike explained that their niche was refinishing and calibrating/certifying surface plates. They have to go to where the plates are, and so over the years several routes evolved. They have some flexibility in their scheduling, and can change their route as needed. In my case, they were heading to the east coast for some work they had scheduled and a relatives wedding, and I was along the way.

Given the Marianas Trench is generally agreed to be in the Western Pacific Ocean, I think we have discovered why the Royal Navy is down to a mere shadow of its former greatness. Or at least a pitifully small "hull count" afloat.

As to machinery and machine shops, "down there"? Parts of the Pacific are virtually paved with it. "Iron bottom sound" but one area of several.

The majority of that machinery was built by and for the Imperial Japanese Navy. It was subsequently distributed by their largest, ever, single dealer in spare parts, the Unites States Navy.

You are of course correct - I meant the Mid Atlantic Ridge !!!!! however the sentiment remains the same :)

OT: Andrew LTNS....how's my favorite pig??/ What is her name, I forgot?

Andrew hosted a class we had in the UK last year. He has a beautiful farm and shop plus he and his friend (like his daughter) raise pet pigs. :-) Makes me smile as to how cool it was teaching at his shop. Thanks Andrew!
Rich

Attachments

• 20171213_155047.jpg
    20171213_155047.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20171214_145821.jpg
    20171214_145821.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20171215_172226.jpg
    20171215_172226.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 84
  • 20171216_131228.jpg