What's new
What's new

Rebuilding a 1.5 HP Bridgeport motor

SirRage

Aluminum
The motor shaft on mine was damaged so I thought it would be a fun exercise to replace it. Ordered the part and new bearings, watched H&W's video on teardown and I've disassembled my motor successfully. I am a little fuzzy on the reassembly. Should I press the bearings into the housings and press the housings onto the shaft? Should I heat the bearings using a bearing heater and plate them on the shaft, then press them into the housings?

Also, should I put some grease on the bearings before pressing them in? Such as Dart CMD Extreme Pressure Lubricant.

The motor shaft on mine was damaged so I thought it would be a fun exercise to replace it. Ordered the part and new bearings, watched H&W's video on teardown and I've disassembled my motor successfully. I am a little fuzzy on the reassembly. Should I press the bearings into the housings and press the housings onto the shaft? Should I heat the bearings using a bearing heater and plate them on the shaft, then press them into the housings?

Also, should I put some grease on the bearings before pressing them in? Such as Dart CMD Extreme Pressure Lubricant.

I'm sure H&W's video is good stuff... but if you were "unaware", this forum isn't all that much about bolting disassembled stuff back together.

PM has a bespoke forum for Bridgeports & c.:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/bridgeport-and-hardinge-mills-and-lathes/

Have a "recce". Search assisted and/or Go Ogle assisted. You surely ain't the first to do this...

If it has NOT been covered there, lo these 18 years, over 8,000 threads, 61,000+ posts?

Better than even chance "whatever it is" cannot even be DONE to a Bridgeport.

:)

The reassembly procedure is the reverse from the disassembly.

You don't have to press anything. You don't need to have a bearing heater. A hot plate on a stove burner with a conical piece of metal will
heat the inside race enough to allow your bearing to drop onto the motor shaft, both ends.

Then use a small torch flame to heat the inside of the motor housings for a few seconds and the bearings will drop right in.

New bearings already have the correct amount of grease.

Is the "motor shaft" an extension piece on the existing motor shaft?

Ok that helps. The shaft came out with the bearings so I'll put the bearings on the shaft then press that into the cover, then place the stator assembly over that. Then press the top cover on. Thanks!

Back