What's new
What's new

Suggestions for stripping off 30 years of machine oil varnish - Hardinge DV59

spooky

Aluminum
Hey All,

Recently picked up a Hardinge DV59 fitted with Omniturn control. I am "going through" it and fixing/cleaning, etc. This thing has 25-30 yrs of dried on machine oil varnish which is incredible sticky and hard to get off. I have tried WD-40, Denatured alcohol and mineral spirits. They don't touch this stuff. I have also tried Goof Off, Brake Clean and Acetone. They remove the varnish but also the paint underneath. There are parts of the machine that will get painted (no big deal there) but also parts I do not wish to repaint.

Do any of you all have a magical liquid that has worked for you in this situation?

Thanks much

CE

Bite wax remover from the automotive paint store works for me. Removed 10 years of dried coolant and oil from the paint and left the original finish, it didn't however replace the paint that had worn/dissolved down to the bare iron originally caused be the coolant.
Dan

I cleaned up a DV-59 with varnished-on oil with embedded brass whiskers. Soaking with mineral spirits, scrubbing with non-abrasive non-woven pads, worked for the bed base. Eventually. Was not a single pass operation.

The ram turret got disassembled and stuck in a heated ultrasonic cleaner with a strong solution of Simple Green.

Bite wax remover from the automotive paint store works for me. Removed 10 years of dried coolant and oil from the paint and left the original finish, it didn't however replace the paint that had worn/dissolved down to the bare iron originally caused be the coolant.
Dan

Bite Wax? Just googled it and didn't find anything that seemed to fit the description.

Thx

I generally use one of the "Purple Cleaners". It's lye based, but it usually does not remove old paint types very fast, and it has to get through the oil to reach the paint.

I often spray or paint-on the stuff, if I do not want to dunk the part.

You can get the oil off and leave the paint if you do not dunk and soak the part. Diluted about 2:1 with water works pretty well, but stronger works faster.

Bite Wax? Just googled it and didn't find anything that seemed to fit the description.

Thx

"Bite wax" is what Dentists use to get an impression as to how teeth or dentures fit.

The remover for it isn't gargled or anything. Human mouth doesn't need that much help to shed it.

The remover is to get the wax off plates or bridges being fitted without damage to their "usually" plastic, and long-ago "hard rubber" materials.
Far more gently than the lye based products, IOW. Dental Supply house is your source.

I just use far more readily available cheap tubs of "Goop" waterless hand cleaner. The one WITHOUT any pumice or other abrasive in it.

That takes off dirt, oils, greases, their various varnishes even if it needs time to "soak in" at inside corners and turn deposits into a sort of "mud". But one easily removed.

Goop also near-as-dammit "never" bothers any even HALF-decent paint, nor degrades rubber shock mounts, wiring, seals, nor electrical terminations.

Taking paint off or planning a re-wire should both be deliberate choices. Or not.

Not an accidental byproduct of overly harsh chemicals such as Ammonia, Washing Soda, or Lye.

This thing has 25-30 yrs of dried on machine oil varnish which is incredible sticky and hard to get off.
<SNIP>
Do any of you all have a magical liquid that has worked for you in this situation?

I had a surface grinder glazed with a layer of 30-year-old dried synthetic coolant. What worked well was a gentle abrasive. I used #600 wet-or-dry paper lubricated with WD40 or lubricated with water plus a drop of dish-soap. Automotive rubbing compound also worked very well. Yes, this removes a small amount of the paint layer but there is no danger of cutting through it if you pay attention while you work.

Back