What's new
What's new

Reeves pulley rebuild

bellaireroad

Aluminum
These are pics of the Reeves pulley on a delta 28-365 bandsaw. Someone has rebuilt it in the past. First a picture of the outboard side, where it looks fairly normal
74e44598fbc878124f57d7b97c2aca9a.jpg

Next a pic of the inboard side, where the bushing between the inner brass bushing and outer steel bushing has been replaced by shims. These appear to be aluminum.
e15dec0a87a6c7c32e111a06444d2960.jpg

What’s the extra bushing on the inboard side for, and is this worth trying to rebuild? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some unsolicited blabber...I absolutely hate Reeves drives or any vari-drive for that matter as they always seem (to me) to be in some state of funkyness. With the plethora of variable frequency drives available I'd spend my time and money installing one of those before I spent time and money rebuilding a vari-drive..but that just my opinion man!:D

Stuart

It's worth removing the set screws and performing a inspection. The bushing has two sets of holes and has been rotated into a second position. You should find the answer to your question when you take it apart. I would fix what needs fixing.

My drive is held together by collars on each side. Each collar has set screws that are positioned radially and compress on the axle threads with a small brass coin. Is that an idea you can use?

Thanks, after some measuring today, what has happened is that someone bored out the pulley, and added an outer bushing. The inner "bushing" is the spindle that the inner pulley moves back and forth on. Actually seems to be a repair done by someone who knew what they were doing.

the only issue it has that I can tell, is there is some slop in the inner pulley on the spindle. and it will clank at certain speeds

As luck would have it, mine seized up this morning. The name plate on my lathe door says to run through entire speed range daily, which I do not do. Have to remove it and do a little cleaning.

As luck would have it, mine seized up this morning. The name plate on my lathe door says to run through entire speed range daily, which I do not do. Have to remove it and do a little cleaning.

Sorry to hear that...please post pics of your drive if you don’t mind ... thanks

Back