What's new
What's new

Remedy for scratch ways?

Cole2534

Diamond
Is there something I can apply to a flat way to fill in scratches? It's the tailstock flat up near the chuck so it doesn't really have any value, but if it was smooth the wipers would work like they're supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Is there something I can apply to a flat way to fill in scratches? It's the tailstock flat up near the chuck so it doesn't really have any value, but if it was smooth the wipers would work like they're supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Devcon aluminum. its like a epoxy. you can get thick putty like stuff or thinner pourable stuff. usually best to let cure 24 hours, metal needs to be clean or it wont stick to oily metal.
Bondo fiberglass auto body filler sticks to metal. but what ever you use often its effected by coolant over time. not unusual to come loose eventually if its does not have holes or dovetail shape to mechanically help hold it in place

A photo would help. It sounds as if your worried about cosmetics? I would check to see what color the material dries at beforehand. I have also used Devcon aluminum as it dries like cast iron. I saw a void in a SE get filled just last month and it worked super. Lance B in the he GA class used solder. He cleaned the surface first and then used 2 applications of flux, then melted in some solder. It stayed in and looked good. Usually when I use the Devcon I clean and the use a die grinder to deepen the score making the bottom wider so it is anchored in. If you show us what you have I would rather see it before you choice to grin on the bed if it's just for looks. Might be better off stoning it leaving it alone.

Last edited:

Back