What's new
What's new

Removing arbor from small horizontal mill

durableoreo

Plastic
Purchased a small horizontal mill recently. It's labeled "A V Carrol" and . I'm getting it ready to make chips. It was fairly cheap but it came with quite a few issues, including lever-feed on the x- and z-axis. There's still flaking on the ways, which is nice to see.

Trying to get the arbor off. Partly to figure out how it all goes together, partly because I want to make another arbor for 1-1/4 cutters.

It LOOKS like the arbor goes straight through and there's a round-belt pulley on the back---or a hand wheel. The center part of the arbor goes through the diameter of the, er, headstock? The arbor has a groove for a set screw, which transmits the torque from the internal belts and pulleys to the arbor.

I took off the hand wheel, a brass spacer, and removed the set screw. The arbor mostly turns freely but binds in 1 spot. I suspect someone removed the original extended-tip set screw and replaced it with something that raised a burr on the edge of the arbor's groove.

There's about 1/8 axial movement but it stops sharply in either direction. Can't figure out what's holding it.

Any ideas?

Here's the whole mill. It's one of those small single-operation type mills for small parts, so the table is about counter height.
GSEnDQ3.jpg

Here's both sides views of the spindle.
1ttMaAE.jpg

yqi16GV.jpg

Closer view of the working end of the arbor. Note the keyway is not lined up with the set screw hole because I was messing with it. And you can see that the screw has a conical end, rather than cylindrical. The bearing is mounted in this little cylindrical mount/enclosure. It's a tapered roller bearing that's tensioned from the back, so the bearing assembly is sealed by that cover but the cover is held on with t-slot nuts---the screws sticking out aren't studs going back to the main casting. The bearing enclosure bears against the main casting but is not connected with fasteners.
d7qet7P.jpg

Closer view of back end of arbor. The arbor has some damage from the set screw but it's a fairly thin-walled tube at this point so it's more of a dent, no burrs that I could feel with a stone. The handwheel came off without trouble.
8HEkVxe.jpg

Looks like they scabbed on a bit of tubing. I think the brass spacer was catching on the edge. On the right side, you can see the driven axis, which is a threaded tube. There's a tapered roller bearing in there and the big lump there (first 2 steps) is a retaining/tensioning nut with fairly fine threads with a heavy bushing (3rd step) that transfers compression from the nut to the inner cone of the bearing . When I removed all those parts, the arbor still wouldn't come out.
dbbfllE.jpg

These last 2 images are my attempt to show the play in the shaft. It rotates more than is shown here. But the end play pictured is the extents if what I'm seeing here.
frQ5tCE.jpg

oxaYIbv.jpg

Here are images of the make/model. I haven't been able to find information about anything other than lathes that were produced by A V Carroll. I could have sworn there was another thread I started back when I was in rigging mode... Anyway, someone pointed out that machinery companies sometimes re-sell models that they don't directly produce, for business reasons. I noticed that the base is fairly generic and the only other place the manufacturer's name appears is a removable cover---easy to re-brand. So if anyone recognizes the castings, I'd be glad to know more about the manufacturer
GNapbEn.jpg

SDgt0xv.jpg

Last edited:
We can't help you without access to your pictures. Post pictures here, not links to some other place. It's not that difficult to post pictures here.

Ken

Is the spindle hollow, so you can drive the arbor out with a drift? Lacking that, it looks likes there's enough of a collar on the arbor that you can make a custom pair of separating wedges (aka drill chuck wedges) and pop it out that way.

I completely disassembled the spindle and eventually got it apart. The back end was a hollow drawbar but it was hard to turn. I think it was hung up inside the spindle AND over-tightened onto the arbor. I used a drift, penetrating oil, and a lot of fiddling to get it apart.

d3QT28y.jpg

I completely disassembled the spindle and eventually got it apart. The back end was a hollow drawbar but it was hard to turn. I think it was hung up inside the spindle AND over-tightened onto the arbor. I used a drift, penetrating oil, and a lot of fiddling to get it apart.

d3QT28y.jpg

'A lot of fiddling" has been so useful I have attempted keep an old mason jar full of it up in the garage/shop/annex attic.

Needless to say, it is always found to have evaporated from neglect any time I actually need it.

Nothing for it but to gin up a fresh batch of "fiddling" from the raw ingredients.

Such is life in the slow lane with Old Iron.

You'll get used to it in due course...

:D

Collets alone are OK for general horizontal milling with endmills and small cutters. Cheers

I think you meant to say that collets alone can NOT readily stand the lower RPM, higher torque loadings common to horizontal mills vs verticals?

OK for drilling? That's about all.

Weldon-style side-locks "throughout", here. Even for small end mills.

No Fine Way a collet is much use for driving an arbour mounting even ONE serious milling cutter, let alone pairs or gangs.

"Leverage" off the greater radius is part of that. Successive stress cycles as each tooth advances - seldom a friendly helix - doesn't make that any easier.

Back