What's new
What's new

Repairing 2 old magchuck. Need help figuring out a diy controller.

marino1310

Plastic
So I have 2 mag chucks. One is a 6x18 Japanese Fuji chuck I literally pulled out of a junkyard pile, the other is a nice 6x6 dual sine Magna-lock chuck. The Fuji takes 80v (for some reason) and the Magnalock takes 115v. DC of course. Now the Fuji, being a junkyard find, has been the test mule. I rigged a rectifier and a capacitor to it (not sure why the capacitor but a electrical engineer is the one that helped me initially and he said to use it), and plugged it into a variac. At 80v it seems to work fine, not very strong but I attribute that to the fact that the top plate isnt bolted on, and is warped considerably.

Is there anything else I'd need to do to use these? Mag controllers are incredibly expensive online, what else are they doing? Is my current setup safe, both for me and the chuck? Any tips are greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not really. The fancy ones do exactly what you're doing for the most part, only other thing would be adding a "release" or demag function. The capacitor just acts like a voltage buffer, so the DC to the mag is a more constant and higher effective voltage. You should be safe as long as your machine chassis is grounded.

Back