What's new
What's new

Biax Scraper Instruction Manual (circa 1961)

Cool, Thanks!

I love it when companies provide the dirt-basic information on not only what their product is, but how to use it from a beginners level. Kinda like South Bends "how to run a lathe" book. It ensures everyone's coming at it from the right direction.

Interesting they show using the Biax with an overhead balancer in the catalog. I was thinking the other day that something like that would be handy to help keep it level. Even a sling over the shoulder could help.:scratchchin:

Cool, Thanks!

I love it when companies provide the dirt-basic information on not only what their product is, but how to use it from a beginners level. Kinda like South Bends "how to run a lathe" book. It ensures everyone's coming at it from the right direction.

Interesting they show using the Biax with an overhead balancer in the catalog. I was thinking the other day that something like that would be handy to help keep it level. Even a sling over the shoulder could help.:scratchchin:

Good points!

Already out there as a dead-tree for-fee publication (I bought a copy) covering the far older Anderson's power. scraper. Not quite as "'portable, as that antique mounted the motor on a cast-iron pedestal. It resembles a cross-breed between a round-cord-powered dental drill and a vacuum cleaner!

One of the most unexpected parts of the 1961 Biax manual? The first two paragraphs of the introduction.

"At one time" they prized innovation and adoption of new techniques vs the old.

Who'd ever have guessed THAT from the past many years, now?

I got two balance blocks set up in the garage just for this, really helpful keeping the tiredness away.
Surely scraping small things at the right height near the edge of the bench keeping the scraper tight is well ok, but not all parts are like that.
Second best thing I got is a 500kg / 1000lbs manual hydraulic scissortable on wheels making it easy to get things to the right height.

I got two balance blocks set up in the garage just for this, really helpful keeping the tiredness away.
Surely scraping small things at the right height near the edge of the bench keeping the scraper tight is well ok, but not all parts are like that.
Second best thing I got is a 500kg / 1000lbs manual hydraulic scissortable on wheels making it easy to get things to the right height.

My one is an El Cheapo (Harbor Freight, actually) hydraulic die table. It serves double-duty as the place where I store my blast media, sand bags, mortars and such. Otherwise, too hard to keep it from moving like a wind-chime.

I have a picture of the # 1 scraper made by Biax. It's in a showcase in the lobby in Germany. I will add it later as I'm at DR office now. I also had an old Anderson Power scraper. I used to call it a portable shaper. Born & Koch has 2 of them and they use them now and then. Also have photos of them from B&K and if anyone has The Connelly book there is a photo of it. I also have a Anderson 1/2 moon flake kit that they sold back in the 50's. I'll pull it out sometime and post some pictures.

I found the page out of the Connelly Book showing the Anderson Scraper, I will look for the B&K picture and the Biax Germany # 1 scraper. But I do have a photo of myself working inside the BIAX Booth at the 2016 IMTS show. I will be at this years IMTS show in September inside the DAPRA booth for 2 days. I'll try to find some more picture and add them as I find them. :-) Rich

Attachments

• 20170115_083449.jpg
    20170115_083449.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 439
  • 20160913_165525.jpg
    20160913_165525.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Oh..I sell the Connelly Book, if anyone wants one. I have it and my straight edges and DVD on Ebay under King Scraping . If anyone wants something PM me and I'll give PM members a discount on direct sales..or free shipping on small stuff. :)

ebrummer was in contact with me a while ago when I was out in Spain regarding the " BIAX " brochures I thought I had. Today I put the suitcases back in loft and had a look through my collection of handbooks, blueprint drawings etc.

Well there was nothing wrong with my memory I did have two brochures and I will be sending both FOC over to the US. My only condition is that ebrummer sends one copy to Rich King. Rich and I have crossed swords from time to time but nobody has done more to keep the art of scraping in the public eye in my opinion. So the brochure is a very small thank you to him.

Also I hope one of the guys can scan in the brochure so everyone who wants to can read the brochures.

One of the brochures has a price list enclosed. It makes very interesting reading.

Just a one example - the 8EC half moon scraper that I had cost £438.00 in Feb 1980.

The sole agents for " BIAX " in the UK in those days was " Dalmeen Ltd " in Sowerby Bridge which for those who know their geography is a tiny town. However it's in the heart of what was one of the most productive machine tool building areas in England. " Asquith ", " Butler ", " Stirk ", "Swift ", " Binns & Berry ", Churchill-Denham " etc were all nearby as was " DSG".

A quick check on the internet reveals that " Dalmeen Ltd " went out of business in 1993. Given the way their market was absolutely decimated in the 1980's it's a wonder they lasted as long as they did.

Regards Tyrone

Well I PM'ed ebrummer a few days ago with no reply so far. I'll give him a week to respond. If I don't get a reply by then it'll be first come first served for the brochures with the same proviso that Forest gets one of the copies.

Regards Tyrone.

Tyrone, I´ll be happy to pick up the flag should he not return.
Thanks for sharing

Hi Lumberjack, When ebrummer contacted me regarding one of the brochures I said he could have one if I could find them. I PM'ed him last weekend hoping to get his postal address. I'm at a loss to know what to do next. Any suggestions would be very helpful. As a Brit and an Engineer my word is my bond on such things but I don't want to wait forever. I'll give him a week from today to respond, failing that I'll contact you for your postal address.

Regards Tyrone.

ebrummer was in contact with me a while ago when I was out in Spain regarding the " BIAX " brochures I thought I had. Today I put the suitcases back in loft and had a look through my collection of handbooks, blueprint drawings etc.

Well there was nothing wrong with my memory I did have two brochures and I will be sending both FOC over to the US. My only condition is that ebrummer sends one copy to Rich King. Rich and I have crossed swords from time to time but nobody has done more to keep the art of scraping in the public eye in my opinion. So the brochure is a very small thank you to him.

Also I hope one of the guys can scan in the brochure so everyone who wants to can read the brochures.

One of the brochures has a price list enclosed. It makes very interesting reading.

Just a one example - the 8EC half moon scraper that I had cost £438.00 in Feb 1980.

The sole agents for " BIAX " in the UK in those days was " Dalmeen Ltd " in Sowerby Bridge which for those who know their geography is a tiny town. However it's in the heart of what was one of the most productive machine tool building areas in England. " Asquith ", " Butler ", " Stirk ", "Swift ", " Binns & Berry ", Churchill-Denham " etc were all nearby as was " DSG".

A quick check on the internet reveals that " Dalmeen Ltd " went out of business in 1993. Given the way their market was absolutely decimated in the 1980's it's a wonder they lasted as long as they did.

Regards Tyrone

You really need to sit in the corner with my mate Chris and 'chew the cud' so to speek :-)
I bet the collection of 'stuff' you pair have shares a lot of common elements.
Thanks for uploading the brochure and manual - learning how to use my Biax is on the list of tasks along with making some blades for it.
All the best Mat

Hi Lumberjack, When ebrummer contacted me regarding one of the brochures I said he could have one if I could find them. I PM'ed him last weekend hoping to get his postal address. I'm at a loss to know what to do next. Any suggestions would be very helpful. As a Brit and an Engineer my word is my bond on such things but I don't want to wait forever. I'll give him a week from today to respond, failing that I'll contact you for your postal address.

Regards Tyrone.

100% Tyrone, I´d expect nothing else :)
I´m in zero rush to get them, and I don´t care too much about the hardcopies either. I was mainly thinking about getting them scanned and shared in the community here.

Back