What's new
What's new

RK Rebuilding Class - Flint, MI 5/19-5/23

factorytwo

Plastic
Greetings all. I've been in touch with Richard and we are starting to put together plans for a class to be held in Flint, Michigan from Wednesday May 19th through Sunday May 23rd. Class will be limited to eight people. The class will be held in a large space that makes social distancing pretty straightforward. There are options available close by for lodging. Feel free to post here or message me if you have any questions.

Regards,
Mike

For a reference talk to Mike's very good friend Daryl Smith our member Other Brother, (Daryl is going to come over for a hello if he can). Mike is the founder and board member of https://factorytwo.org/en

He attended the class I had last year in Detroit. We talked about doing one there before the Covid Shut-Down. I like those who have a hand-scraper and a BIAX Power scraper to bring them. If not I can bring them. I have 11 Biax Power Scrapers to pick from and 2 Biax Power 1/2 moon Flaker, plus I bring the supplies. You can bring a project of your choice. Last class we did in Tennessee one student brought a G&L surface grinder table, another brought a Bridgeport table, another brought a surface plate. In other classes students bring angle blocks, straight-edges, Lathe saddles, lathe cross-slides. The last CA class one of the students brought a crappy Harbor F lathe that we made 100% better...lol...I don't talk money in this forum, but you can see it on eBay or write me [email protected]

20210213_113208_resized_1.jpg20210116_153951_resized.jpg20201114_113410_resized_1.jpg20190223_091836.jpg20200225_112539_resized.jpg

The Host of the Tennessee Class replaced the Rulon on top and bottom of his saddle on his CNC mill. I showed him how. Everyone got to learn how and they learned to scrape Rulon /Turcite. In the Florida class Adam Booth, Keith Rucker and Lance Baltzley tore apart a Rockford Shaper. So if the host Mike approves, you maybe able to bring a machine.

Attachments

• 20210213_111152_resized_1 (1).jpg
    20210213_111152_resized_1 (1).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210212_145724_resized.jpg
    20210212_145724_resized.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210214_124151_resized_1.jpg
    20210214_124151_resized_1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210116_141841_resized.jpg
    20210116_141841_resized.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210116_103837_resized.jpg
    20210116_103837_resized.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 45
Bob,

You're correct - I don't have much of a 'history' on this site. I started down the rebuilding (and eventually scraping) rabbit hole through my involvement in Factory Two, a community makerspace in Flint. For those not familiar, a makerspace is simply a community workshop. I was working to get the wood shop setup and along the way discovered the fantastic community over at Old Wood Working & Metalworking Machinery forum (owwm.org) as well as it's sister site, Keith Rucker's VintageMachinery.org. That, in turn, led me to PM.

Once the woodshop area was setup, we added a Bridgeport Series 2 and a couple metal lathes (SB 10k and an Emco-Maier Maximat v13). That was the point that I realized that the machinery was the easy part - we still needed the tooling, metrology/measuring equipment, and basic knowledge about setup/calibration/maintenance of the machinery. So I created an account on this site and also had the good fortune of meeting Daryl (OtherBrother on here) through a local CL purchase. After that initial purchase I became friends with Daryl - he is an incredibly talented, knowledgeable and friendly person who has absolutely no airs about him. Spending time with him in his shop is always a treat, and typically a learning experience.

Daryl encouraged me to more formally pursue learning the art of scraping, so I signed up for and attended Richard's March 2020 class. After attending that class I joined a scraping FB group. Someone there recently asked about the possibility for a King scraping class in Michigan this year, so I reached out to Richard and offered hosting at our space.

Richard can provide you details on cost. When I attended last year I didn't own a power scraper - Richard supplied power scrapers for students that didn't have one to use. You should have a handscraper for the class (either shop-made or commercial).

He encourages students to bring their own projects, but if there is anyone that doesn't have something I can provide angle plates and the like to practice on.

Feel free to send me a DM here or email mike at factorytwo.org.

Regards,
Mike

Back