What's new
What's new

roughing scraper carbide bits?

metalmagpie

Titanium
I haven't heard this question before.

Suppose I have a Biax tool or two that clamp carbide inserts. Further, suppose I buy one or more inserts that are basically square, but actually have two of their edges ground with a radius.

I have heard people here suggest that you should sharpen such an insert on all 4 sides so that you have 8 cutting surfaces.

Here comes my question - I have a tool grinder with 100 grit CBN wheels in good condition. Would this be suitable for roughing out a radius on a carbide insert? I don't have any green wheels, and the only diamond wheel I have is pretty much for lapping. It would take forever to form a radius.

Thanks!

metalmagpie

I have reshaped a carbide scraper on a plated diamond wheel. Don't know the grit, but maybe 220 or 320 effective. You have to be a bit patient, but it's much faster than lapping. Maybe 5-10 minutes from a completely new radius. The resulting edge is not ready for scraping. It needs lots of attention on a lapping wheel to remove the scratches and establish a consistent 95 degree (or thereabouts) included angle on each face edge.

I have reshaped a carbide scraper on a plated diamond wheel. Don't know the grit, but maybe 220 or 320 effective. You have to be a bit patient, but it's much faster than lapping. Maybe 5-10 minutes from a completely new radius. The resulting edge is not ready for scraping. It needs lots of attention on a lapping wheel to remove the scratches and establish a consistent 95 degree (or thereabouts) included angle on each face edge.

Thank you, and that agrees with my experience. The present question, however, is can I grind carbide with a CBN wheel?

metalmagpie

I used a 1000 grit diamond wheel and went from 100 to 60 mm radius on my scraper blade today, took 5 minutes. Then I swapped to a 3000 grit wheel and it was ready to use.

My simple (and temporary) setup:
CgoYnQe.jpg

CBN will grind carbide but nowhere near as well as diamond. It will rapidly require more pressure and dull/wear out faster also. DAMHIKT. There's a reason it hasn't just universally replaced diamond.

My slow speed Accufinish with a 120 diamond grit wheel roughs out carbide blanks very quickly. A quick touch up with the 1200 grit and it’s good to go. Imho, having tried a green wheel and a few other dodges, this is the way to go for carbide scrapers. Don’t forget, you’re also going to be resharpening every half hour in use, so why not get/make a system that is quick?

Btw, big thanks to PM member Other Brother, who noted in a youtube how often he resharpens. I was wasting time not resharpening often enough..

L7

this will rough out a biax bit in 5 seonds. its about 10 grit. i have a radius contraption for it.

Attachments

• DSC00709.jpg
    DSC00709.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 95
Yes it will work if not a lot to be removed, some spray coolant will help
Better than a green wheel by miles.
100 grit is not a finishing wheel. Look at the edge under 300 to 500x magnification.
At this grit in diamond or CBN expect .0005 to .002 or much worse edge chips or grain grooves when grinding carbide.
Bob

Rimcanyon, sharpen every 20-30 minutes of cutting time. Cuts nicer and has helped me become way more consistent in scraping depth and scraping straight down. Note, I’m not a pro scraper!

L7

Back