What's new
What's new

Scoring on slideways. What to do?

shapeaholic

Stainless
I am "repairing" ( not rebuilding or restoring) an Aciera F4 milling machine.
It has seen some abuse in its life, having been either tipped over, or hit by a forklift or something similar.
That damage is pretty straight forward repair work. The worst of the abuse has resulted from incorrect lubrication practices. This machine has zerk fittings for oiling, but someone has tried to grease it. This has resulted in some scoring of the longitudinal ways. Fortunately the other ways have not been damaged.

You will see from the pictures the extent of the damage. the worst I can reliably measure is aproximately 0.010" deep, with the most of it between 0.002 and 0.005" deep.

I have been considering several options;
1) Machine it clean, and install Turcite to bring the slide back to the original height,
2) Scrape the slide ( this will cause some dificulty with lead screw alignment),
3) use "scorex" ( a moglice product) this will necessitate grinding grooves in the way to provide adequate material thickness.
4) scrape the way flat, ignoring the divots and consider them "oil pockets".

I am leaning very hard toward option 4. the original scraping is still visible on the majority of the slide and I believe a little judicous scraping, and stoning will be adequate.

I am looking for options. any advise considered and appreciated!

Peter

IMG_1087.jpgIMG_1086.jpgIMG_1081.jpgIMG_1080.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 258
As the 5th picture post on # 2. I would say on the scoring if it is not exposed to leave it. The reason it is there is because of lack of oil when they cut in square and straight oil groove, I would grind diagonal live into the existing groves and 1/2 moon the unexposed to air side.
As RK says below on a spring loaded wheel oiler.
I found this on the net. ones I see have a vertical pipe in the bottom of the hole with a coil spring in the hole attached to roller holder that carry's a bronze or steel wheel. The hole is filled by hand or a Bijur fitting from a pump and as the wheels turn as the table is moved it roll oil onto the ways.
round oiler used in surface grinder ways - Bing

Last edited:
The semicircular pocket in the 4th photo is supposed to contain a spring-loaded roller dipping in a puddle of oil and distributing it on the opposing flat way. Was the roller present?

I have seen similar rollers on surface grinders and planers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick King,
Thanks for your advise on the scoring. I think I will head that way.

Rklopp
Yes there is a roller for the oil that goes in that pocket. I have it and the spring. I can't say if it was installed as I got the machine in an unassembled state.
In a previous post you asked about the alignment of the table. I am wondering how yours is aligned. The sliding member is slightly warped (0.0015") so I will have to fix that.

Peter

Hello Peter
Consider machine size, value and use I will choose option #4
Should be very careful with turcite - that material require relatively wide way, otherwise will flex and your table won't be sitting solid.
You can machine ways, but need good accurate machine, if not will scrape forever after milling. Also screw position become an issue.
We see this type of wear very often, especially on grinders and in most cases we scrape surfaces for oil purposes.
Scrape, make new wipers and start to use it.
Good luck

I see two things on the ways. I see regular "scoring", linear marks.

I also see "gouges" that appear similar to what I have seen when swarf gets under the slide and gets carried along between the upper and lower parts.. I'd want to be very sure that I got wherever that swarf got in closed up so that there will not be any more getting in.

Maybe it is just that the wipers were no good, or might be something else.

"Maybe it is just that the wipers were no good, or might be something else."

The machine does not have wipers on the longitudinal slide.
The long moving part overlaps the short stationary.
There is little doubt that the issue was lack of lubrication. This also trashed the lead screw.

Scraping starts today or tomorrow...

Pete

"Maybe it is just that the wipers were no good, or might be something else."

The machine does not have wipers on the longitudinal slide.
The long moving part overlaps the short stationary.
There is little doubt that the issue was lack of lubrication. This also trashed the lead screw.

Scraping starts today or tomorrow...

Pete

Yeah, I get it. But that does not guarantee that crud did not get in there. It seems credible that it did, from the places that look like metal was ripped out. I've seen that on lathe ways also, from swarf.

Quasi
I finished it probably 8 years ago and have been using it happily since. It is a wonderful machine!
I have just finished (except for new belts) a Smart and Brown 1024, and have another Hendey T&G waiting for some repairs.

How do you like the big Rivett?

Pete

its great. The best lathe I have ever used, I just wish it had the taper attachment.

The one fault I can give it is the lubrication for the carriage gears and the lubrication for the carriage and crossfeed ways shares the same oil sump. I drain, flush with paint thinner, and refill it every year.

The Monarch 14AA you looked at in Niagra years ago has been in my brothers shop for years. I get to use it when I want for real heavy turning and drilling. It was made in 1946 so didn't get any war use. It was sold to a gear company in Montreal according to Monarch.

Back