What's new
What's new

Scraping with an angle grinder

Frigzy

Aluminum
Hi guys,

I found a video on youtube where a guy scrapes his lathe with an angle grinder. Surprisingly, he does it with the great success. The guy is not from U.S. and he speaks Russian in the video. I was so impressed, so I translated the video and added English subtitles. Sorry, if it's a little bit scrambled, but that's exactly how the author speaks it.

Here it is: Scraping the lathe bed with an angle grinder - YouTube

What do you think?

Thanks!

thanks for the effort
there is another video on youtube, also russian, that actually shows the handling of a grinder as a scraping device
some years ago it was put forward here as an example of bad practice, hackery, by the moderator although he did not understand a word spoken in the video
it would be nice to have a translation of that video

Hi guys,

I found a video on youtube where a guy scrapes his lathe with an angle grinder. Surprisingly, he does it with the great success. The guy is not from U.S. and he speaks Russian in the video. I was so impressed, so I translated the video and added English subtitles. Sorry, if it's a little bit scrambled, but that's exactly how the author speaks it.

What do you think?

Thanks!

I almost want to class it a Putinesque troll-factory plot to deprive the USA of the guidance of a certain Master Scraper by way of inducing a stroke.. but then..

- Wrong camera lense altogether. Too wide an angle so EVERYTHING is curved! Clear to useless, if not beyond.

- NO sound, no subtitles.

- No angle grinder SHOWN, though it may have been spoken of. I haven't studied spoken Russian nor written since 1961, barely remember ten words - but there is none audible. Not to me anyway.

In any case, I class Demon's work as a well-thought out and explained example.

Further, I HAVE been using an angle-grinder for removing paint, Obersturmbannführer Fehring.

So don't start or I'll be wanting a rational explanation as to why King Island Roaring Forties blue wasn't good enough for a surface plate snack!

:)

I almost want to class it a Putinesque troll-factory plot to deprive the USA of the guidance of a certain Master Scraper by way of inducing a stroke.. but then..

- Wrong camera lense altogether. Too wide an angle so EVERYTHING is curved! Clear to useless, if not beyond.

- NO sound, no subtitles.

:)
Wait, there are English subtitles. Click on the gear icon in the right bottom corner of the video and choose Subtitles->English

Next time do a forum search :). This was discussed ad nauseam here. It is acceptable to grind the ways if they are too hard to scrape. A small grinder with a small grinding wheel or ar die grinder may be used.

dee
;-D

Hi guys,

What do you think?

Thanks!
In my meager experience you can finish a hardened surface very nicely with a grinder once youve got an idea of what youre doing. The video the dcsipo shows is about as good technique wise as youre gonna get.
For soft CI ive roughed out with an angle grinder before, material that would take an age with a hand scraper. Its very quick but with that you have to be carefull how you work, you cant dwell in one area as shown in the video without blowing holes. For finishing up youre hands down better off scraping imo.
Another thing thats not often talked about is position. Using a grinder or biax its a lot easier to rough when youre out of position.

A link to my thread on the subject but im sure theres more.

Cheers
D

Most people who rebuild machines for a living have had to do it.
Ive never done it on a small machine tool but plenty of linear transfer machines where disassembly was never a viable option. Its almost like a dirty secret that no one admits to until someone else does!

I´m just from doing it, see link to my thread
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...g-and-inspection/stanko-semi-overhaul-348930/

Sorry I have not updated it in a while and the pictures are bad. I got some better pics to upload. It is better than it looks there and straightness, paralellism, twist etc are very ok.
I´m right now doing final fitting of the carriage to the bed ways and it´s coming in nicely.

Anyway, I got to grind it as it was too hard to scrape effectively although I did make some final scrape marks on the flat ways mainly to brake up blotches and get more uniform print.

Following lots of good advise here, dcsipo and demon73 has very good advises on the subject as rich and others as Jshaugjord and more some not on this forum.

I got a cheap straight 3" die grinder and went to town.

Condensing (my own) lessons-learnt:
Never dwell, come in with speed.
Use pressure regulator to be able to have some control of speed.
Don´t dwell, never reduce speed while in contact
At the end with more practice I preferred higher speed than initially - but not highest.
Don´t dwell, exit in speed.
Cheap grinding disc might be the ticket as they just don´t cut very well. I got some finer grit disc from Norton but they cut too fast for my liking.
Dressing the corner on the disc used for grinding is everything second only to - Don´t dwell. Use some diamond stone and try to dress a radius on the corner maybe 75% of the disc thickness approx.
Don´t bounce on the surface, go in, stay engaged, get out.
Practice on sacrificial object to get your speed, rythm and pressure consistent.

Considering hours spent (several+++) it is still good value considering time and cost for sending it out based on grinding estimate here of approx 3000$, that would then have been first class grind so comparable or not the bed ways are now straight and will allow consistent function also making the remaining jobs (carriage, crosslide and tailstock) worthwhile doing.

I´looked at several of the russian grinding videos also but the technique I ended up with is more like the one in dcsipo´s video.

It is possible to grind to very fine tolerances and depths, at the same time respect that it will also remove lots of material at the flick of your wrist.

Future improvements might include an electrical grinder in the size of a 115mm or 125 with electrical speed control running a 100mm disc or 75.
Size of the grinder is important in terms of allowing for handling control, on my small die grinder I added a handle from a drilling machine enabling more consistent manipulation/ manouvering of the grinder for sustained periods.

Do not use soft discs for so many reasons, lack of feel, edge round off etc. That´s my personal opinion.

Picture show a small hole made with soft disc approx 0,01mm below surrounding surface, now removed.
MattiJ Trench.jpg

Print of outer V-way, the hole mentioned above is seen on the right side.
Front V outer surface - getting there.jpg

Early stage roughing.
FW early stage.jpg

Simple grinder
received_149089385774779.jpg

Last edited:
I once flattened the bottom of a wood plane with a coarse rat-tail file as a scraper. Does that make me a bad person?

Not unless it gave you a "woodie" doing it - or you got hard when remembering it in a dream for long years afterwards.

"Fessing up" on PM to addressing an urgent need when there wasn't much other choice to be had in the place and time available might simply make you a "bad choice of targets",

Everyone gets those kinds of situations dumped on them now and then.
We just do the best we can with what we actually have and wish for better tools, later.

Buying too many of those better tools, later, won't make you a "bad person" either.

Just broke! DAMHIKT.

Richard King talked in his class about doing this on hardened machines. I think the key is control. The reason people aren't using die grinders for all scraping is because it's too easy to dig in on softer material (not saying it can't be done), but on hardened ways it works. The story he talked about involved a machine "land-locked" in the shop so they couldn't send the bed out to be ground, so they used a die grinder like a power scraper.

Using a hand grinder wasn't just started because of someone on here did it. I have been using this method for years. As M.B. pointed out I used this method for Cloyes Gear in Paris Arkansas when a CNC was buried in the middle of the production shop. I also have used a portable belt sander on a Large HBM 40 years ago at Midwestern Machinery. In Taiwan they use angle grinders to get it close before scraping it. (I never told them). The Russian has an imagination and had to get the job done. I did not watch the whole thing, but I bet he used it as a roughing method.

I am sure other pro's had done it before me. Chris German or CG Precision that D linked from You-Tube learned that grinding technique on Practical Machinist when I believe Demon or Pete in the UK asked me about doing it. He never mentioned that info in his You Tube.

The majority of most of my students who have either taken a class or read it here from me or Nick or who ever. They thank us in their shows.

I also want to say, just because you read about it here, doesn't make it right as a couple of people here are "FAKE" rebuilders or FAKE machinists. They never add photo's to their threads as they either have read facts here and copy cat or they are full of BS.

Many of us REAL repairmen or techs Help because we truly love helping here.

One creep in particular comes here and BS's because he doesn't have a real life and can't back his rebuilding facts up with proof and to buzz around to BUG people.

Buy some bug spray and get rid of the FAKE Bug.
Terminix Pest Control | Schedule Service

Last edited:
As Richard King very well said.

I also used large industrial belt sanders to adjust surfaces for linear guides in big industrial CNC machines.
Quite successfully.

But these are coarse tools with major drawbacks.
Edges get rounded.
But sometimes this may not matter.

Back