What's new
What's new

Scraping Logo Patterns

TGTool

Titanium
eKretz said:
They were pretty damn good, that's for sure. I read an anecdote of some of their scraping hands being able to scrape in logos of customers while still maintaining perfect bearing. Pretty cool stuff.

I've seen at least one example of putting a monogram on a finished scraping job.

Surface Plate monogrammed.jpg

Not actually a very difficult thing to do.
I scraped my friends name on the back of a precision square I made him some years ago.
All you have to do is make a template for the pattern you want, and on each scraping cycle you mark the pattern on the part with a fine sharpie.
Proceed scraping as normal, changing the angle of the cuts 45* inside the pattern area. Takes a little extra patience near the edges of the pattern to make it nice.

I'll see if I have a picture

peter

I call that "The Signature" of a scraper hand. Back in the old days, here in Minnesota I could look at the ways of rebuilt machines I could tell if my Dad had 1/2 mooned them. He had unique C look 1/2 moon. But as the BIAX power 1/2 moon flaker machine was introduced in got real difficult to tell. Giddings and Lewis had their own \_\_ style, as did Moore too, as did other machine builders builders Their final pass. It isn't a Logo like your photo TG. Backin the old days in Chapter 20 page 164 in the Connelly book he shows or writes about "Frosting" techniques. Many Hobbyists like to experiment with something like the Christmas tree look, Many pro's like me don't do it as "Time is Money".

If it is, he needs a few more PPI. the area around the Christmas trees looks low. The fellow bluing it up and scraping it IMHO needs to practice more or maybe that was a picture while he was still scraping it and not done. If it has 5 PPI would be a miracle.

Precision surface plates should have a 40 PPI bearing. I teach a person can get 20 PPI by accident if they do it correctly. It looks like his intention was to make the circle area low to highlight the logo.

Pic's L to R: 60 PPI What I call a work of art, chart showing PPI (sorry its blurry), plates scraped in a class, a few light spots, but most is 20 PPI, More work of art scraping by Tom Lipton (Ox Tool) showing a print of his part he scraped in one of my CA classes.

I appreciate non have a Logo, if the Logo scraper has PPI like I show and a Logo with these PPI shown in these pic's the I would say good job.

Attachments

• 20191016_140308.jpg
    20191016_140308.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 20170201_142032.jpg
    20170201_142032.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Austrian pictures 2.jpg
    Austrian pictures 2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20180405_172016.jpg
    20180405_172016.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 20180406_171305.jpg
    20180406_171305.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 109
I'm always astonished at how much can be read by looking at a picture of a surface without an actual markup.

Surface plate, I think logo is now inverted.
MM Surface Plate.jpg

Working on a block.
MM Scraping Block.jpg

Marking from the surface plate (logo underneath)
MM Scraping Block 3.jpg

... and checking on scraping progress.
MM Scraping Block 2.jpg

Back