What's new
What's new

Scraping a pair of 45-45-90 triangles

jwearing

Hot Rolled
I had this idea to scrape in a pair of 45-45-90 triangles, and get the angles perfect without a 45/90 reference. Is this already well known? Or is there a better way? Here's the idea:
- First, the faces need to be flat and parallel, and the edges need to be square to the faces.
- Now, clamp them together on the long edge. Measure parallelism of the opposing edges. When you have a parallelogram, the triangles are equal to each other.
- Flip one triangle over and repeat. When you have parallelograms in both orientations, the triangles are equal and symmetric (meaning the acute angles are equal, e.g. 44-44-92).
- Measure squareness or spot one triangle against the other. When the corners match, along with the parallelism above, you have two perfect 45-45-90 triangles.

Of course there's some strategy involved, to get all the measurements correct in a reasonable number of cycles.

I ordered some triangle castings from Gary Martin at Martin Model. They have been sitting on the shelf for a few months and I finally had some time the last few weeks to work on them. They came together reasonably quickly and I'm pleased with the result. I wish I had something accurate enough to measure the angles, I'm tempted to send them to a calibration lab (but I probably won't bother).

Here's some pics. First the final product:
IMG_1281.jpg
IMG_1290.jpg

Measuring parallelism:
IMG_1258.jpg

Measuring squareness. This only works after you have parallelism. Flip the pair of triangles around, the readings should be identical. The setup in the pic gave the most repeatable results, but I still trust the measurement less than spotting.
IMG_1276.jpg

Spotting for squareness. Blue one triangle, and stand them up against each other on the surface plate. There was some back-and-forth getting it to spot this well, while maintaining all the other measurements.
IMG_1280.jpg

I like what I see, pretty neat idea. Nice scraping too. I have seen Gary's 18" camelback and it looks nice as do the square's I'm curious on what you paid for them, can you private message me. I know he sells his camelbacks retail cheaper then what it costs me to cast and stress relieve mine...lol. Someone said he works at a foundry or does he have his own foundry? I wonder if he is a member of PM?

I bought Gary's 18" straight edge at the same time, I have been using it for a while and it is nice. If you go to Martin Model – martinmodel, click "PDF Forms" at the top, you'll find the price list for his scraping castings. I don't think he posts here, at least not regularly.

Back