What's new
What's new

New to me Ex-cell-o Mill Questions (XLO)

Gomlin

Plastic
I recently obtained two Ex-cell-o 602 milling machines. The 1st one of them is in pretty good shape, the 2nd is primarily going to to be a parts donor for the 1st one. I have identified a couple issues so far and it hasn't even been powered up yet.

1st question, the better condition mill came with the 1 1/2 HP motor and the parts mill has the 2 HP motor, should I or could I put the 2 HP motor into the keeper mill?

2nd question, when we rotated the head to clear the garage door, the head didn't rotate via the gear, but rather just fell like a 500# rock into my lap. It doesn't appear that the worm gear for the head rotation (90*) works properly. However, the worm gear for rotation does work in the parts mill. How much of a job is it to remove the non-functioning worm and replace it with the working one from the parts mill?

3rd Question, the keeper mill has a non-functioning Servo 100 power feed. We tried removing the power feed but don't have the replacement inner end piece that has been replaced with the power feed. Any ideas on troubleshooting the power feed or finding the replacement (non-power feed) inner end section that sits between the table end and the graduated dial?

I have used a mill a few times, but and absolutely a novice. I appreciate any advice.

Jim

Pictures of the "Keeper Mill" including the part needed to remove the non-functional power feed.

20170514_181726.jpg
20170514_181739.jpg
20170514_181748.jpg
20170514_181755.jpg
20170514_181803a.jpg

I takes a while to figure out the pic's. You need to change them in your computer before staging them on here. Have your 15 year old kid grand-kid or neighbor kid show you how. Crazy as it seems the younger generation can teach us old farts something..lol

The headstock falling probably is the worm gear in the one machine is stripped and the one that doesn't turn, the key in the worm wheel that turns on the worm gear is sheared. You can probably exchange those parts and make it work. There are some interesting methods shown on You Tube of pulling the head stock of Bridgeport's that should help you. On those machines they didn't make a beefy mechanism and they broke easy. When you repair it support the head as you turn it so the weight isn't being held only by those weak parts. I would order a new generic power feed unit off Ebay as it isn't worth fixing that old one. Oh, pull the motors and if the motor holes and VS sheeves are the same, exchange the motors, or just swap the heads. Rich

Apologies for being rather direct and a little blunt, but how did you decide which mill is the keeper and which one is the parts machine? Have you just assessed the paint and shine of metal parts, or have you surveyed the wear of the ways, etc?

Paolo

The parts mill is missing quite a few parts and has about twice the backlash in the x axis. Even the guy I got them from regarded one as functional and the other as a parts mill. The plan is to swap parts to get one mill in fully functional shape and part out the other one to recoup some of the costs.

I found some older threads that suggests that the 1 1/2 HP machine uses a different belt than the 2 HP model. That's what made me question how challenging swapping the motors might be. I haven't decided if the head rotation via the gear system is worth the effort of swapping the parts.

Probably it would be a good idea to try to run both motors and assess the conditions of both spindles and main head components. I wouldn't exclude that the best solution could be to swap the whole head...

Paolo

Back