Scraping a tiny turcite gib.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Scraping a tiny turcite gib.

I have a small gib with dirt embedded in the turcite surface that I need to clean up. It's about 3.125" long X .500 wide. I picture myself wreaking havoc scraping it normally with a flaking blade, how would you do it? I think a .003" cut off the top with an endmill would remove all the dirt and metal and be safer.

This gib rides under the way, holding the table down should gravity ever reverse itself, there's no load on it in normal operation so having perfect 40 point bearing is not needed.
    dsc08700b.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The mill cut would work but I would just pick/pry the metal bits out with a scribe point and run a smooth file over it and be done.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are so many tiny specs it would take forever and I'd still have no confidence that I got them all. Plus the surface would be gouged up like the surface of the moon when I was done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The rule of thumb on narrow ways with and without turcite, use a narrow blade. If the surface is 1/2" use a 3/8 or 1/2 wide blade ground to a 40 radius with a neg 12 to 20 dregree's for hand push and lift scraping and a 60 R for pull scraping. If you have a 15-150 Biax blade either put it in your hand scraper or in your hand with no handle.. Do a checkerboard and lower the center 40% about .002". Scraping normally removes about .002" per scrape. I love to use also is a Biax 1/2 moon flaker blade R 60. The radiused bottom with the front cutting edge ground to a - 12 deg. the scrape marks are not to deep. If you just use the - 5 deg. it is sharpened for 1/2 moon flaking CI it will did in real bad. Rich
    Last edited by Richard King; 02-20-2016 at 09:22 AM.

5. Likes Mud liked this post