What's new
What's new

Scraping tool inserts alternative?

garyrice

Aluminum
I'm want to make a scraping tool similar to this one:
5HME5_AS01.jpg

But the commercial INSERTS are way too much for my hobby-level interest.

I have a diamond wheel / carbide wheel grinder.

Is it possible to use carbide inserts intended for other uses in place of the "real ones" by using the others and grinding my own radius on them?

Gary

File handles are cheap.
Hot rolled steel flat bar is cheap.
Plain carbide inserts are cheap. Here is a link from MSC:
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...nks/Rectangular-Carbide-Blanks?navid=12102069

Learn to silver solder and make your own. There was a great series on scraping which included a detailed section on how to make carbide scrapers. That series was written by Michael Ward and ran in "Home Shop Machinist" starting in May/June 2011 and continuing for nine or ten succeeding issues.

There is no reason you could not make scrapers from old indexable inserts.

Search ebay for "diamond lapping plates" from China. Mount one to a motor. Bingo - diamond lapper for sharpening inserts. Improved plan would be to watch the Stefan Gotteswinter video on how he sharpens scraper inserts and copy that. Stefan is a good metal scraper and makes things that are practical, affordable and compact.

If you need any specific information, ask.

metalmagpie

Hi Gary,
Is it possible to use carbide inserts intended for other uses in place of the "real ones" by using the others and grinding my own radius on them?
I made inserts for my BIAX power scraper and had luck to get some original SANDVIK carbides for scraping. The carbide in larger size, I orderd in ebay from russia, wears out faster than the sandvik ones.
For hand scraping I tested some carbides laying around, but all of them wear out fast.
So, what carbide type to choose for making a scraper?
In another thread (can't find it) the result was to choose carbide types, that are made for machining aluminium.

Cheers,
Karl

If you have a propane torch, silver solder/braze, some flux and some insulating firebricks, it's a simple procedure to solder a carbide blank onto a piece of gauge plate/rectangular bar. I use 1/8" x 1/4" x 1" ones from MSC, but they're available in a wide variety of sized from them, Mcmaster and others.

Edited to add:- I type too slowly :)

I've actually got some of the Gen-u-ine Sandvik scraping inserts (given to me by a purchasing engineer at work after the Sandvik rep gave them to him!). I might try cutting one in half and brazing the halves on to a tool to see if they last better than the generic C2 carbide I've been using.

Last edited:
If you have a propane torch, silver solder/braze, some flux and some insulating firebricks, it's a simple procedure to solder a carbide blank onto a piece of gauge plate/rectangular bar. I use 1/8" x 1/4" x 1" ones from MSC, but they're available in a wide variety of sized from them, Mcmaster and others.

Edited to add:- I type too slowly :)

I've actually got some of the Gen-u-ine Sanvik scraping inserts (given to me by a purchasing engineer at work after the Sandvik rep gave them to him!). I might try cutting one in half and brazing the halves on to a tool to see if they last better than the generic C2 carbide I've been using.

I would be interested in the result of that test. If you do end up trying it, let us know how it goes. I would assume the grade used for the "legit" scraping blades is on the very hard end of the scale.

If you're doing it very cheap buy some old carbide slip gauges - 80-100 thou thick will do it - and braze them to a piece of cold rolled steel. I use 20mmx3mm or 4mm thick but you could use an inch-size equivalent.

Bonus is you can snap then in half to make narrow scrapers for small work.

are those slip gauges cheaper than 35eur? because that is what I payed for the real scraper blades from sandvik, the smaller ones, 20mm(?)

If anyone's interested I have some extra 5-packs of the genuine Sandvik 620-2530 H10 scraping inserts, and can let them go at much lower pricing than what I'm seeing online.

5-pack - $65 + shipping ($13ea)
Singles - $17ea + shipping

These are all new/unused of course, in sealed packages unless singles. Each blade is 25mm x 30mm x 3mm thick (I think, haven't measure the thickness).

Sandvik 620-2530.jpg

I'd take a 5-pack if the shipping isn't outrageous.

Hi Peter,

Shipping would likely be in the $30 range, but I'll confirm when the Post Office opens again tomorrow. I'm not sure how elaborate the customs and other forms are, if they're really obnoxious I'll have to add a bit for that.

Do you have any US friends that you sometimes get stuff from? It would save a lot to be able to ship as a part of a larger grouping.

If anyone's interested I have some extra 5-packs of the genuine Sandvik 620-2530 H10 scraping inserts, and can let them go at much lower pricing than what I'm seeing online.

I'll take a 5-pack if I'm not too late, PM sent

I'm want to make a scraping tool similar to this one:
View attachment 294561

But the commercial INSERTS are way too much for my hobby-level interest.

I have a diamond wheel / carbide wheel grinder.

Gary

I make my own scrapers by brazing pretty much whatever carbide I have laying around
I have not noticed a significant difference in edge holding abilities of the different grades

My favorite is from a .030 thick carbide sliting saw

Ps I sharpen about every 20 min of cutting or so

Hi Gary,
I made inserts for my BIAX power scraper and had luck to get some original SANDVIK carbides for scraping. The carbide in larger size, I orderd in ebay from russia, wears out faster than the sandvik ones.
For hand scraping I tested some carbides laying around, but all of them wear out fast.
So, what carbide type to choose for making a scraper?
In another thread (can't find it) the result was to choose carbide types, that are made for machining aluminium.

Cheers,
Karl

Sandvik scraper blades H10 grade, = aluminium or non-ferrous grade with high hardness.
If you can get something like used APKT alu inserts that would be very cheap source.

Or if you are adventurous get a box of (Korloy) H01 inserts from ebay/aliexpress in some format that looks usable. Like APKT16?
Most probably fakes but 1 usd per insert and they have wicked sharp edge.

Sandvik scraper blades H10 grade, = ......

First person I have seen to read the grade on the box
5-6% cobalt fine grain size.
C-3. Cobalt shorted for hardness.
That stuff you buy as stb or style 1000 off anywhere will be 8-10% fine or 10-12% micrograin C-2.
H10 style carbide hard to find in low quantities for a cheap price.
Bob

Just a note to those that have asked for and paid for the scraping inserts - thank you! And please be a little patient on shipping, as I still have one or two individuals who've indicated interest but not paid yet.

Since I'm trying to minimize trips to the Post Office (Covid-19), I'm going to wait for Friday to get everything out at once. I'll send tracking info to folks when I get back to the shop.

Back