What's new

Scraping a Wells Index

Thunderdog

Plastic
Hello,

Let me start with a couple of things:
I'm a beginner.
I don't profess to be a teacher.
I may ask questions because I want to learn.
I do this strictly because it's fun for me.(I don't work in the industry)

I acquired a Wells-Index Super 55 (I hope that is an accepted machine to talk about on this forum).
I've been dismantling it and cleaning it up. I had the spindle reground from a B&S #9 to an R8 by Wells-Index. I've done a little bit of scraping on some material to learn the process and successfully scraped a 4x12 chunk of metal parallel and one side thus far is square. Richard King talked me through laying down the column and starting the detective work on another site.(Richard, if you're reading this I would like to touch base with you for the Ohio scraping class.) I haven't seen him over there in the past few weeks and it seems like there are some other serious pros on this forum. That's why I joined here.

I made the jump and began scraping the face of the column using my CI surface plate. As a total newbie, the process has been very rewarding. Yes, I'm only at the beginning and yes I've only scraped something flat(no challenge of perpendicularity/parallelism/etc. yet). I'm currently at 10-12 p.p.i. on the face of the column.

MY PLAN(Please let me know if there is something wrong with it)
Before rolling the column on a side I've measured the dovetails using an indicator and my crude measuring jig(taken directly from Machine Tool Reconditioning). Readings repeat at about .0035 of wear about 7" from the top of the dovetail. I do have a straight edge that will cover the entire distance of the dovetail. Once I roll the column my plan is to remove the necessary material at the bottom of the dovetail to avoid the possibility of false readings where the straight edge could make contact. I will do a bluing to identify the landscape of the dovetail and begin scraping the highs.

Here are a few videos that document my experience.(These are not teaching videos.)

Back