What's new
What's new

Seeking Help Replacing Tool Post/Compound Slide

Steven.93

Plastic
Good evening all. I'm new around here, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I've acquired a TOS SN-50 in the purchase of a company, and I'm afraid I know little about this machine. Machining is not my main profession, and it is something we use occasionally for repair jobs in a grain processing facility.

We've decided that we want to pursue a quick tool change setup for this machine, however I've had a difficult time identifying a system that would be compatible with this particular machine. I've seen many different TOS SN series lathes with the "T-slot" system on the compound slide(?)/rest(?), however the mount system on my machine is different from that, and I'm not sure what direction I need to turn in order to get away from the current tool post.

I've attempted to attach images of the machine in hopes that someone knowledgeable about TOS machines may be able to shed some light on the subject. I guess my question is whether I am able to replace just the tool post (and what exactly I would be looking for in order to do so) or whether I need to replace the entire compound slide/rest to be compatible with currently available quick change tool posts.

Thanks for your time.

20210316_174436.jpg20210316_174323.jpg20210316_174313.jpg20210316_174235.jpg

I’d suggest taking the top of the compound off and see from the bottom how the eight position indexable tool post base is attached to top of compound. If you’re lucky, it isn’t one piece. The SN 50’s I’ve run (from same dealer!) didn’t have the indexable tool post.

You might consider stripping the entire compound, cross slide, and saddle for a bath while you’re at it...

And please take the key out of the chuck.

L7

Hello L7, and thank you for your reply.

That's quite interesting that you've run machines from the same dealer!

I've removed the compound slide and attached pictures. It would appear to be one piece. Is it possible to get quick change posts for these one piece compounds? If not, how hard is it to find a compound that would accommodate a quick change tool post?

Thank you for the reminder about the key - I removed it while I continued taking pictures yesterday, when I noticed was still in the chuck. I'm certainly conscious of the dangers.

20210317_165354.jpg
20210317_165326.jpg

What it looks like to me is that the compound has that central part inserted from the underside, most likely with a small flange, and the pin is to prevent rotation since the hold down bolt for the four-way would screw into it. So you could tap that out from the top, make a duplicate that brings it just flush with the top of the compound, and thread it for the central bolt from the QC toolpost you've bought.

Back