What's new
What's new

Colchester Bantam reconditioning question

RNR

Plastic
Hi all,
I just bought a Colchester Bantam MK1 of ebay.
It looks generally in good shape but still need a bit of cleaning and TLC all around...

The handle of the cross slide is damaged and completely loose from the wheel handle.
(Part 31762 loose from 31806 according to the manual)
The previous owner place a piece of brass tube in the hole where the handle goes...

My question is, How is the handle meant to be attached to the handle wheel ?
Is it a press in or is it threaded ?

See attachment for details.

Thank you!
Laurent

Attachments

• Bantam_Handle.jpg
    Bantam_Handle.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 91
Threaded with a 5/16 unc thread.It may have been removed ,as WHSO dont allow rigid handles sticking out of rotating handwheels ,anymore.

Thanks mate!
I guess I will have to re-drill and tap one size up... ;-)

Thank you.
Laurent

I preferred the sort of handle that was a sort of thick revolving sleeve rotating around a fixed stud. Less wear and tear on the palm of your hand although I suppose on such a tiny lathe it won't make much difference.

Regards Tyrone.

Quality English lathes always had handles made of Lignum vitae.......a very hard dense wood.......so at 6am ,in a factory full of sub zero iron machines,your fingers wouldnt freeze to the handles.

Quality English lathes always had handles made of Lignum vitae.......a very hard dense wood.......so at 6am ,in a factory full of sub zero iron machines,your fingers wouldnt freeze to the handles.

I like that idea! I don't know if I can find a piece of Lignum Vitea But possibly oak? Hard enough...

I preferred the sort of handle that was a sort of thick revolving sleeve rotating around a fixed stud. Less wear and tear on the palm of your hand although I suppose on such a tiny lathe it won't make much difference.

Regards Tyrone.

Yes I like them better too, the Harrison we have at work is of that type... But I'd like to keep the MK1 looks like a MK1 not the modern MK2...

Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies!
I'll try that some of that this weekend!

Back